• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question on Lightweight Strut Fairings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

I had what I believe to be a great idea hit me suddenly the other night as I was trying to fall asleep but couldn't stop thinking of things to do to my plane. Does that happen to anyone else? Any way, I bought lift strut fairings for my Kitfox but they are kind of heavy, probably more then 5 lb/ea, and I was thinking I could make some lighter. I did a search and found this old thread which is so close to my idea
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/4669-lexan-strut-fairings.html
But my plane is a little faster so I want something a little sturdier and I am addicted to vacuum bagging carbon fiber any time I get the chance so here is the way it came to me. Fashion a long board, as long as the tube you want to fair, that is triangular in profile but with a rounded tip (I will not go into much detail, I made a drawing). Vacuum bag 1 or 2 layers of carbon, pending experimentation, on this plug for each strut. Place around strut and glue the trailing edge together to form fairing. By my very rough calculations a 9 foot fairing made of 2 layers would weigh a little more half a pound. Here's the picture.
fairing.jpg
My primary question is this, how smooth does the surface of a fairing need to be? I have found that I really enjoy the aesthetics of carbon fiber laid up with a matte finish. I do this by using a fine nylon peel ply on the finished surface. It has a non reflective (not glaring anyway) surface while having most of the appeal of carbon. So how much would this texture affect the flow around the fairing?

Any other comments on the idea are also welcome.

Back