• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question / Info Request - UL/LSA Brake System Hardware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Question for UL and LSA (and E-AB) brake system folk:

I'm now putting the brake system together on a 900 pound gross STOL LSA. I managed to get some imported small motorcycle/pit bike/quad hydraulic brake cylinders mounted to the heel brake pedals, just barely.

The high pressure output from the cylinders is a "banjo bolt" and its associated "banjo fitting". The banjo fitting was purchased from a motorcycle shop near the airport. The banjo fitting's attachment for the brake line was reported (by the Harley-biker-looking guy at the bike shop) to be "AN-3". I took this to mean it is a 37 degree AN style hydraulic nipple fitting for "size 3" aluminum flared brake lines, AN style ferrules and "B-nuts". The B-nuts I had in the drawer fit, so I believe the reference to AN fitting size is correct.

So first I need to get a brake line attached to the banjo... no problem. But only an aluminum or nylon line will fit onto the banjo, because the !(#*$ banjo is very very close to the side wall of the !(#*$ brake cylinder, and there's no room to put an Aeroquip, or rubber, or flexible hose on it. The difference in OD between an aluminum tube and a proper hose is too much. So I can attach a flared aluminum line to the banjo... no problem.

But THEN I need to go from the aluminum line to (hopefully) nylon for the rest of the way, passing through the area where the main gear swings up and down (bungee movement), and down the gear leg to the caliper.

So my big question is... is there an elegant, clean, and low-parts count way to go from an AN aluminum brake line to a nylo-seal "compression fitting" type of nylon brake line? What I am hoping to avoid is the typical stack-up of wonky brass adapters with pipe threads,, three or four components screwed together that look overcomplicated and a little too "hardware store". The nylo-seal is lighter, cheaper, and more elegant up to the point where there's a pound of big clunky square brass parts all screwed together.

Thanks in advance for the brain cells...

Back