Question (from a noob non-pilot): What's up with all the ...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

copec

Those books all seem good. I have the Thomas, and it is great on the theory, though a little shallow on practical matters of detail and execution.

You might consider coming to one of our Akaflieg build sessions. The next one is 1-5 April, with tech talk by aircraft designer and retired NASA engineer Dr. Stephen Smith. We'll be making carbon fiber sandwich wing skins for an HP-24 and also some high-temperature racing jet parts. We're down to the last couple of spots, so let me know soon.

--Bob K.
That sounds very cool. I'm going to see if I can make that.

ElEsido

One more consideration to favour a T-tail: If you outland in high grass a wheat field the elevator of a T-tail stays where you put it; whereas the elevators of a cross tail might get sheared off. Not sure how V-tails did in field landings.

PiperCruisin

I have a cousin that teaches aero and I remember bits of a conversation a long time ago about the down-wash on the tail changing as you get into ground effect. I believe there is less impact on a t-tail.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Does this look like a good book combination? I'm just getting my bearings.
I have both the Thomas and Panjo books. As Boku said, the Thomas book is an excellent discussion of the peculiarities of sailplane design. It's heavy on theory and becoming a little dated, but still excellent material that I would consider a "must-have" for a sailplane designer getting started. Pajno's book is probably outstanding in the native Italian, but the English edition suffers greatly from a very poor translation. One of the most glaring issues is that whomever layed out the English edition didn't update the page number references. The page number cross-references in the book are accurate for the Italian edition, but not for the English edition. A fair amount of searching ensues...

I don't have the other two books.

If you're starting from a basis of having already done a power-plane design, these are excellent references to get you into sailplane design. Thomas, in particular. However, if you're starting from scratch, I'd become familiar with the basics of aircraft design before getting into this specialized niche. Does this look like a good book combination? I'm just getting my bearings.[/QUOTE]"]Our "references" section has a good selection, and you'll want to get started with the Aircraft Configurational Development section. Not listed there is Raymer's, Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, which is available on Amazon and is a really nice place to start learning about airplane design. It's the same author as Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach, which is prominent on Orion's list, but this is a more-friendly introduction and would be an excellent primer for his larger college text.

... You might consider coming to one of our Akaflieg build sessions. The next one is 1-5 April, with tech talk by aircraft designer and retired NASA engineer Dr. Stephen Smith. We'll be making carbon fiber sandwich wing skins for an HP-24 and also some high-temperature racing jet parts. We're down to the last couple of spots, so let me know soon.
Bob, you need to keep announcing these things more visibly here on HBA! :roll: :gig:

copec

I have both the Thomas and Panjo books. As Boku said, the Thomas book is an excellent discussion of the peculiarities of sailplane design. It's heavy on theory and becoming a little dated, but still excellent material that I would consider a "must-have" for a sailplane designer getting started. Pajno's book is probably outstanding in the native Italian, but the English edition suffers greatly from a very poor translation. One of the most glaring issues is that whomever layed out the English edition didn't update the page number references. The page number cross-references in the book are accurate for the Italian edition, but not for the English edition. A fair amount of searching ensues...

I don't have the other two books.

If you're starting from a basis of having already done a power-plane design, these are excellent references to get you into sailplane design. Thomas, in particular. However, if you're starting from scratch, I'd become familiar with the basics of aircraft design before getting into this specialized niche. Our "references" section has a good selection, and you'll want to get started with the Aircraft Configurational Development section. Not listed there is Raymer's, Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, which is available on Amazon and is a really nice place to start learning about airplane design. It's the same author as Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach, which is prominent on Orion's list, but this is a more-friendly introduction and would be an excellent primer for his larger college text.

Bob, you need to keep announcing these things more visibly here on HBA! :roll: :gig:
This thread? https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8950