Quantcast

Question for the mods

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

Log Member
Well I bought plans, so I need to start a log here.
I don't want a sterile record of my progress, I want an interactive log where everyone is welcome to respond, critique and offer suggestions.
I am old enough to have my own strong opinions but young enough I don't care if someone disagrees with me. Stubborn enough to never quit, but hopefully wise enough to accept guidance along the way.

Its my understanding the builders log section here doesn't allow others to post. What section should I start my log in that will allow others to post as well?
(I fully understand and accept the inherent risk of squirrels)

TFF

Not a moderator but why not both? A build log unmolested and a parallel thread with comments. Be a squirrel and post in electrical.

narfi

Log Member
perhaps we need an airship section just for me to post about submarines in :p (honestly both are interesting topics)

Reactions: TFF

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Not a moderator but why not both? A build log unmolested and a parallel thread with comments. Be a squirrel and post in electrical.
I think this seems like a good idea.

narfi

Log Member
I dont.
That's why I ask where an appropriate place for me to start my thread would be.

narfi

Log Member
I'm not sure how to be more clear... I don't mean to be insulting or difficult.
People are different, many here are not able to handle other people and want a sterile log. I don't.
I am not interested in scattering my project across multiple threads, I want it chronologically in one place with all discussion chronologically inline with it. It should contain what I have physically done, as well as my thoughts present and future for the project, asking advice, receiving critiques, receiving advice, etc.... in one place, in order of the thought process as it happens.

don january

Log Member
narfi couldn't your request be addressed by Private PM from members and then you wouild have the ability to share or not ?

TFF

I bet there is a way for the builder to only do one master post and it directed to the open thread. Maybe narfi only visits the open thread but a lot would like a record log and critique. The good critiques can always be merged into the master by the builder.

Just putting it in General would cover the base of where to put narfi’s regular thread if he did not want the other. Some people do use the build log function to show the FAA. Dates and pictures for all the world to see is good documentation for proof of EAB.

The plus of builder logs section is for years down the road. A search there would be easier to direct to the open thread. The open thread will get buried one day deeper than the build log. It’s one of those YMMV topics.

narfi

Log Member
I know people like to have them separate, I don't want to limit them or cause issues, its been setup so they can do that and that is a good thing.
I don't want to use that system though, I just want a normal forum thread which will use over the course of the next 3 years or so to log my progress, thoughts and ideas and bounce them off of other people who I may or may not listen to at my own discretion.
Yes I could just start it in General, and if that is ok, I am ok with it, but if the mods prefer I start it somewhere else, I am fine with that as well.

I don't need anything special done or programmed, I only want the normal forum features we use in all the typical threads here. Posting and pictures, responding and quoting, etc......

I just want to know where :)
Do I post in General? (easiest)
Do I post in Logs and request permissions be changed on just my thread so all members can post? (work for the mods)
Do I post in Logs and request permissions be changed on just my thread and be granted mod rights to just that thread? (even more work for the mods)

I am happy at any level, just want to do what is acceptable to the admin here before I get started.

rv7charlie

How about... Post a single entry in the builders' log section with your name & what you're building, and include a link to a thread thread in the general (or a/c specific) section that includes all your build entries and viewer comments. That way if someone is looking for build info on that a/c, he'd find the single-post thread which would point him to your actual log.

Reactions: BJC

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just want to know where :)
Do I post in General? (easiest)
Do I post in Logs and request permissions be changed on just my thread so all members can post? (work for the mods)
Do I post in Logs and request permissions be changed on just my thread and be granted mod rights to just that thread? (even more work for the mods)
The way the forum is structured, only people who have been granted permission can post in the builder's log section. We can't make it more granular than that, i.e. we can't set it up so people can post in your thread but not other peoples. So if you want replies, you'll have to have to run two threads or post a single one in an open forum. But as I'm sure you know, threads tend to go off the rails.

narfi

Log Member
How about... Post a single entry in the builders' log section with your name & what you're building, and include a link to a thread thread in the general (or a/c specific) section that includes all your build entries and viewer comments. That way if someone is looking for build info on that a/c, he'd find the single-post thread which would point him to your actual log.
Well I started my main thread in general, and was about to post a bookmark single post thread in the log section but seems I can not start a thread there.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@narfi Now that you've decided, I've set the Log Forum permissions for you to post there and have your build thread.