• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question for the Chute Riggers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
First off, I'm not intending to put anyone on the spot for regulatory guidance here, just an opinion of what to expect:

My L39 has cold seats, but the seatback chutes are in place and form the primary restraint interface to the jet. When we ferried the jet to SoCal a few years ago the chutes were way out of date. We briefed that we'd only jump if the jet was on fire, and take our chances that the chutes would open as a "last chance" option.

As an Experimental, I have the option of abandoning the cold seats and chutes entirely, but I'm just wondering what I should expect WRT the existing chutes, packed for probably 20 years without seeing the light of day. Anyone have any actual experience with Soviet era chutes and what kind of condition they are likely to be in after decades sitting in a seatback? Should I even bother opening them up, or is there a chance they just need an inspection and repack?

Back