question abt EFIS?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by ling, Jul 29, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1

ling

ling

ling

i would like to know the basic operation of the basic operation of Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) units.

thanx...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. Aug 27, 2006 #2

Kev

Kev

Kev

Very basically, the EFIS is usually used to display aircraft flight and navigational data. It can also be used, in conjunction with additional display units (screens) to display other aircraft engine, airframe and system data.

The data outputs from the various aircraft sensors / systems (those to be presented on the EFIS) are generally fed into a symbol generator. This converts the input data into a specific digital format and then further modifies this data into a video format ready for presentation on the display units. The actual information being presented on each display unit will depend upon selections made on the EFIS control panels.

The smallest (full) installation normally comprises two display units, one symbol generator and a couple of control panels. In the event of the failure of a display unit the remaining unit can (depending on the system) display the lost information in a composite format. Some systems have an EFIS swap switch that enables a complete swap of information from one display to another.

It is important to remember that airworthiness regulators require that standby mechanical instruments be fitted in the event of total EFIS failure.

If you want more detailed info just give me a buzz.

3. Aug 27, 2006 #3

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

The one I am seriously considering is:

www.advanced-flight-systems.com

I just installed the Angle of Attack kit in my wings!

It displays on the EFIS!

:D CJ