• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

QC Challenger II in the Pacific Northwest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N523SK

Hi, Everybody!

My name is Eric Pretorious.
  • I am a student pilot.
  • I live in Portland, Oregon.
  • And I have just completed the purchase of a Quad City Challenger II built by Steve Dentz in 2006 (N523SD and later N523SK).
This aircraft has been around quite a bit - So maybe you've seen it somewhere?
  1. It was originally completed in 2006 by Steve Dentz (Carnation, WA) - the SD in N523SD.
  2. And then it was purchased by Randy Hageman (Prosser, WA).
  3. And then I believe that it was purchased by Scott Keller - the SK in N523SK.
  4. And then it was purchased by Chad Cook & Winston Gleave (Herriman, UT).
  5. And then it was purchased by Ty Witt (???, CO).
  6. And then it was purchased by Conrad Kinch (Baton Rouge, LA).
  7. And then it was purchased by me!
I've pieced together this Ownership History by sifting through the various documents that were in the Build Binder and by showing it around the "Challenger Ultralight" Facebook Group. i.e., There may have been other owners that I am not aware of!

This aircraft has almost every accessory that a Challenger pilot could want except for a reasonable Empty Weight (535 lbs, empty)! But what most pilots are interested in (when I show it to my hangar neighbors) is the Rotax 670 engine. It's got the HO Exhaust (by Mike Hair) and the Ducati DCDI. Rotax Rick claims that it consumes 2.5-3.0 gph in steady cruise and is capable of producing 92 hp @ 6250 RPM! The previous owner, Conrad Kinch, reported that it would climb at 1,800 fpm on a cold day with only the pilot on board - And that was before Michael Busenitz, at STOL Creek Aviation, re-pitched the 4-blade, carbon fibre propeller correctly!

Anyhow: It's a real luxury rocketship split personality - Now I've just got to complete my training and get my certificate!

Wish me luck!
Eric P.

Last edited:
Back