Q-200 Kit transport from VA to CA

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ianashdown

Hi,

I‘m having trouble getting viable quotes to transport my recently purchased, unbuilt Q-200 kit from VA to me in SoCal and wonder if anyone has any ideas, contacts etc.

Thank you,

Ian
SoCal

Armilite

Hi,

I‘m having trouble getting viable quotes to transport my recently purchased, unbuilt Q-200 kit from VA to me in SoCal and wonder if anyone has any ideas, contacts etc.

Thank you,

Ian
SoCal
=========================

If it hasn't been started the Kit should be in Boxes. VA to So Cal would be a 3 Day Drive one-way for me. Could you not Fly to there and just Rent a UHaul Truck and drive it home? I had 10 years ago a 1955 Chevy Shipped from New Jersey (East Coast) to Des Moines, Iowa and it Cost me $950 back then. A (2) Day Drive for me one-way.

Ianashdown

Unfortunately it has just been started, 15% built maybe, and I’m sure the box it came in is long gone. I’m am just not able to get away from work at this time or I would do exactly that.

Ian

Hephaestus

Find a friend who's not working and likes roadtrips... Any commercial carrier is going to be cost prohibitive.

Victor Bravo

Go to uship.com and put it out for bid. You will find someone who is already going in close to that direction, and has some extra room, and already has part of the trip paid for. Then, among those people who meet all three crirteria, they will bid against each other lower and lower. So whoever bids the lowest will "win" the reverse auction. That will wind up being the most cost-effectve of any potential way to move this stuff.

Toobuilder

Cant help but think about the Dragonfly airframe that was for sale at a give away price for all those years already located here in SoCal. The purchase price was probably cheaper than the shipping cost on this deal.

Cant help but think about the Dragonfly airframe that was for sale at a give away price for all those years already located here in SoCal. The purchase price was probably cheaper than the shipping cost on this deal.
Unless he paid way too much for the Q. My brother rented a truck of the size needed recently (2 months ago and from a destination not a source city). The 'cheap' one was $500/day. This coast to coast trip solo is a 4 day minimum. By the time you consider fuel per diem and wages...................

How much does the OP earn at work?

mikoman

Go to uship.com and put it out for bid. You will find someone who is already going in close to that direction, and has some extra room, and already has part of the trip paid for. Then, among those people who meet all three crirteria, they will bid against each other lower and lower. So whoever bids the lowest will "win" the reverse auction. That will wind up being the most cost-effectve of any potential way to move this stuff.
Try also freightQuote. Does the same thing. I am sure you could google more. Shipping like that is called LTL less than truck load. ABF moving gets u a 20-24 ft trailer and will drop it at both ends but u have to have someone load at each end. Have no idea how easy to get now with covid.. and shortage of truck drivers. I used them freight quote for a 5th wheel assembly, a aircraft canopy for a cozy, 200HP boat motor. If you are flexible on dates and time to pick up and don't need it quickly it was easy. Good luck.

varivig

Hi,

Thank you,

Ian
SoCal
Central Freight, I had a varieze shipped from LA to Indiana in a crate. No problems and best price.

Ianashdown

Unless he paid way too much for the Q. ...................

How much does the OP earn at work?

The cost of the Q kit was very good, which make the quotes I have had seem crazy. 6x the cost of the product being moved!

I make enough that taking time off to make a trip like this uneconomic.

Ian

Ianashdown

I wish I could find a Q-200 in CA! I do want unbuilt, or close to it. Mine is. What little has been built was built by an aerospace engineer so my confidence that it is done correctly is fairly high. The purchase price will be less than the shipping cost, I’m sure. Whoever said these things had to make sense!

Ian

Hephaestus

You've got to understand a big part is going to be the "heres a loose bunch of parts I've never seen and aren't crated up ready to ship". So whoever picks up will be very risk averse to being liable for damage (and of course you can't hide the fact that it's an airplane so everyone will assume every nut and bolt - is a 500$ part)

Having been down this road - the cost of having someone crate it for you is - very high. Last time I looked at it even within a major metropolitan area - it was 2k$ just for crating a built pair of wings + an assembled fuselage/tail (wittman tailwind). There were no small loose parts, that would have made it absolutely insane $.

Unfortunately because of damage claims by some - I'm going to guess less scrupulous members of the aviation community... A lot of the uship folks see airplane and run away. So I'd be looking for someone within your friends/family circle - who's willing/interested in doing the fly/uhaul/drive for some extra $ under the table... Because reality is - your costs are going to be extreme otherwise

bmcj

The Fly to VA and rent a U-Haul truck may be a good option. Right now U-Haul rentals going into CA are dirt cheap. Not so much going out of CA.
+1 on this statement.

Out of curiosity, I priced a one way Uhaul truck rental from California to Texas; it was over $3,000. Then I priced the same thing in the other direction and it was less than $300. That’s more than a tenfold difference.

rv7charlie

Unless you are good friends with the seller and you're absolutely certain that he has your best interest at heart (and maybe even then), not putting your own eyes on the gathering of parts and packing up everything is going to be a roll of the dice.

When I hauled a Dragonfly project from MI to MS, I bought a small used trailer in MI & hauled it home behind my (very small) car. If you have a car that's rated to tow at least 1000 lbs or so, and can afford the time off from work, in today's shipping market you can probably buy a brand new small trailer in VA, pay for gas & motel rooms, and still save vs shipping charges. If you have to place a high value on your time (meaning you're not retired), that obviously changes the equation a bit.

If diy won't work, try Stewart Trucking. They apparently bought Partain Trading, who hauled a lot of Van's RV kits. (No relation to them; just seen them referenced on VAF).

rv7charlie

+1 on this statement.

Out of curiosity, I priced a one way Uhaul truck rental from California to Texas; it was over $3,000. Then I priced the same thing in the other direction and it was less than $300. That’s more than a tenfold difference.
That's because they need trucks in CA. (Looking at it from either end of the equation.)