Putting Lipstick on a ---?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
As much of a sex symbol as it isn't... the Skyvan however is IMHO the perfect configuration and size for the "flying family motorhome" mission. The next video linked after the one in the OP makes that very clear:

If you took the basic Skyvan size & configuration but executed it as a lighter E-AB version (steel tube, tube and gusset, big carbon/foam sandwich slabs, whatever) that did not need to haul the Skyvan's 5000 pounds of payload at 150 knots, and you put two LS V8 conversions on it, you'd have a starting point for a very capable flying motorhome that isn't outrageously expensive to operate. 2500 pounds of payload is a family of four, a fair amount of gas, the camping stove, the beer cooler, the hunting rifles, the fishing rods, your pet moose, etc.

Big backwoods tires and a more STOL-ish wing that didn't need to cruise at 150 could easily make it a family motorhome camper that could get in and out of 1000-1200 feet of grass, dirt, gravel, sandbar, etc.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
OMG... you're right... I forgot her shoes... better put those PT-6's back on.

4028625-pb-120926-marcosshoes-03.jpg

dog

cant find a picture ,but there is rumor of ausi special trouble putting sky vans on floats

Appowner

The Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michigan has a P-40 with lipstick and makeup. Here's a pic and link.

Link

p40.jpg

Can't see in this pic but the eye has long lashes and mascara. The color is pink vice desert tan. The owner, a woman of course had a hand in starting this museum some 40 plus years ago. IIRC she was one of the many WAC ferry pilots during WWII.

One thing they did was to build the last Ford Trimotor. They were loaned all the tools by Ford, made all the parts and built a Trimotor. Ford then inspected it and certified it as the last to be built. Rides available.

Good museum. Worth the stop.

You want marshmallows and a fire? Find your own camp site ............. and I'd better not be able to hear or smell you from the one I choose! ;)

Camping, for me, as about getting away from other humans for a time.

robertl

Well I was thinking more from a comfort standpoint, and besides, you can't have an open fire next to your plane at SnF or A/V.
Bob
PS. I would share the marshmallows.