• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pusher props

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plncraze

Supporting Member
I understand that it is not best to place the pusher prop in the wing wake unless it approx. three chords downstream but how far above or below the wing should you place the prop. Strojnik put the centerline of his prop at the wing wake and I read that he was disappointed in his performance to some degree. Should one make sure that the wing wake will not flow into the prop? Example: A high wing pusher should not have the downwash going through the prop disc
Is the area of the body in front of a pusher prop crtitical if you streamline it well (not like the Varieze, etc.) Should you design so that a percentage of the pusher props diameter is not covered by the fuselage in a frontal view.
I like Strojnik's concept but want to try to avoid the mistakes I thought he made. the idea of building a plane using a backbone like Strojnik or C.G. Taylor's Taylor Bird looks like a good way to simplify construction but I cannot figure out how to design a forward fuselage from what I have seen in books. I find the image of a 4 seat egg like fuselage(with a pusher propellor) with a tail protruding from its backside on a stick appealing. Any thoughts?

Back