• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Purrpose of short struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanislavz

I try to reinwent excel files for primary wing calculations, and explain it for myself. All was ok for strut less wing till i did stuck to draw proper spar cap load, if struts are placed not in middle of wing lift point.

But not pk for different position. As an.example. 10m wingspan, square load curve of 300kg per each meter. If we place struts at 2.5m. Position - load of spar will be zero at wing tip and wing root. strut transmit all load.

If we put strut at 2m from wing tip - strut transmit 1200kg of force, 300 kg - directly via wing root.

But if we put strut at 1 meter from wing root - how do all curves do look ? Found some old glider with even bigger ratio of strut to wingspan. What is the purpose of struts in it ? PIK-5 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back