• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Purchasing homebuilt, confused with required inspections

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socal pilot

Hi everyone! Thank you for accepting me in your community! I'm hopeful this is my first post out of many and that I'll get to contribute more as I become more experienced.

I'm looking into buying a homebuild experimental plane with Continental A75 engine. This is a whole new world for me, in regards to required paperwork and inspections.

Plane has N number and Airworthiness certificate. It is also currently registered. However it has not been flown in a few years and all the inspections are past due. I have asked mechanic on site (I live in different state) to take a look at the aircraft and he told me that the plane looks good and that the engine runs good as well. However when I asked mechanic to perform pre purchase Annual inspection and sign of the plane as Airworthy he declined under explanation that I'm moving the plane to another state and that it's best for me to do it where I'm going to be based. He suggested that I ask Seller to sign for Condition inspection, however seller is not Builder of the aircraft and to my knowledge he is legally unable to do so?

Seller seems honest, but I'm worried that I may not be able to get the plane to pass Annual after purchase and other than mechanic word I don't have anything in writing about the condition of the aircraft?

What should I do?
Thank you in advance!

Back