Pultrusion party

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
I'm thinking of convening one of our Akaflieg build sessions to work with pultrusions, maybe in August at our Montague CA workshop, for a three- or four-day session on the design and fabrication of pultrusion-based wing spars.

We'd probably do the usual rental cabin and have an engineering tech talk. The hands-on plan would be to fabricate and test a reference spar, and also make spars for CarbonMax or a 13.5m HP-27 or our tapered RV-8 wings. We'd ask for $75/day to cover facility fees, accommodations, and meals.

Is there anybody here who's motivated enough to travel to an event like that? Please PM me or email bob@hpaircraft.com.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I hope HUNDREDS of people come to this type of event! If I wasn't back on full-time work I'd fly up and do it. THANK YOU for offering this!

I humbly suggest that you might find a way to offer the Akaflieg programs at or adjacent to the ESA event in Tehachapi. Yes of course it is a PITA to trailer all of the equipment and supplies all the way there, but I believe 1/3 of the people attending ESA would show up two days early to participate in it, leading into the ESA events. Proximity to a far larger number of people and airplane people in SoCal would possibly make it into a significant yearly gig.

I also think you could offer this at Oshkosh - and (over the course of two three-day sessions) have 100 people pay $250 a pop to learn this stuff. You'll have to rent space or profit-share with EAA, but you'd still be ten or fifteen grand ahead at the end of the week. Same with Sun n Fun, maybe the same with Arlington.

Every bit as importantly as the direct profit, it builds the brand name of your business and establishes your position as "the guy". This will generate other business opportunities from many different sources.

I know you ain't nearly as much of a big-mouth promoter as me by nature, and some of this may be "out there" for your personality. But trust me, there's something worthwhile there for you to pursue.

Last edited:

patrickrio

I'm thinking of convening one of our Akaflieg build sessions to work with pultrusions, maybe in August at our Montague CA workshop, for a three- or four-day session on the design and fabrication of pultrusion-based wing spars.

We'd probably do the usual rental cabin and have an engineering tech talk. The hands-on plan would be to fabricate and test a reference spar, and also make spars for CarbonMax or a 13.5m HP-27 or our tapered RV-8 wings. We'd ask for $75/day to cover facility fees, accommodations, and meals.

Is there anybody here who's motivated enough to travel to an event like that? Please PM me or email bob@hpaircraft.com.
What is the nearest major commercial airport to you for receiving east coast flights?

Edit: So it looks like you are about equa-shitty driving distance from Sacremento, Reno, San Fran and San Jose......

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Distance is the least of it. Fly in to Sacramento and you can be in Montague in about 3 hours, because it's all Interstate 5 straight shot without much traffic. Even if SFO or Reno was 25% closer, the traffic out of the Bay area, or going over the mountain, is going to be slower overall. I-5 is just a straight boring no-brainer.

patrickrio

Oh... I was looking at the location for HP Aircraft LLC which shows as in Arnold, CA..... So VBs info didn't make any sense to me.
I missed the critical "at Montague CA"

Flying to Medford is much less shitty!

Last edited:

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Yeah, we're pretty much finishing up in Arnold. I just have to close a set of wings there. I hope to close down the shop there by the end of summer.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Yeah, we're pretty much finishing up in Arnold. I just have to close a set of wings there. I hope to close down the shop there by the end of summer.
You actually moving everything and gonna live up there in Yreka? Got a gig or something that pays you the $300K you're worth?

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
I would second to video recording or to interactive video for non USA peoples..

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
@BoKu, any chance of making a recording? For a person from Europe it would be almost impossible to make...
Unfortunately I have neither the equipment nor the time to make such a video. And for tactile hands-on stuff like this, to get the full sense of it you really have to be there. But if someone wants to send a professional videographer to the session, that'd be fine by me.

Reactions: BJC

opcod

A video can be very much the best fit and get you a wider audience. I was quite interested, but flying all across, in a pandemic before the 4th wave. no. But a video and powerpoint slide.. all in.

davidjgall

Bob, Please count me in. I would very much like to participate in such an event.

For those who cannot attend, I’ve got a Sony Handycam and a tripod I can bring, but I’m no videographer; I’ll be soliciting donations to pay for video memory cards and my attention will be on learning and doing, not videoing.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm interested, provided the dates are firmed up far enough in advance. Do you know when you'll have the days identified, Bob?

patrickrio

If you are really interested in getting a useful video from this, I suggest coordinating multiple cameras WITH MOUNTS. For a project like doing layups and vacuum bagging, stationary overhead cameras are very likely to catch MOST of what you want to see. You would set up several overhead, from a few angles, so that you have image and audio choice. One human operated camera with roving capability would probably be sufficient to catch necessary horizontal or low angle shots. LARGE storage cards are most useful here, as they allow the longest periods of unattended video recording from the stationary cameras that are power connected so they don't run out of batteries.

Then you assemble a useful video by editing after the fact using the various angles and you can also similarly pick the best audio from the various cameras too. A truly useful video of this will likely have large sections of sped up footage that is done best in editing anyway.