• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pulsar Aircraft Assets For Sale

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Solly

Hello Everyone,
First of all I am alive and well. Thank God. I have not visited this site for over 2 years and tonight I somehow clicked on it's link on my tool bar and the first thing that pops in front of me is this thread about the Pulsar Aircraft asserts offered for sale for two million USD.
Sadly, The Pulsar story went sour after I had sold my 50% of the company "The Pulsar Aircraft Corp" to my financial partner Mr. Degani and left the company. For the lack of proper financing and especially after the 9/11 event, In the five years I managed the company I practically did everything. Development, building the company's airplane, Production, Training employees in production, Marketing, Internet Portal, Accounting, dealing with suppliers and ordering materials for production, setting up inventory, Customer's support, Sales, Exhibiting at Oshkosh and Sun n' Fun, Taking potential customers for a flight and everything else. The promised proper funding never came. It was trickled in a fashion that I could only keep the doors open and sadly prevented me to move the company forward as per my vision. What I had developed from the excellent design of the Pulsar by Mark Brown, into the Super Pulsar 100 was the best flying experimental airplane out there. I had taken the Super Cruiser design which we had purchased from Rich Trickle and was a great aircraft but a bit old fashion and developed a new tail for it to make it more appealing. I had plans to use the newly designed reinforced fuse and mate it to a fast tapered wing for a Super Cruiser 300 with a 350 HP motor. A version that would compete with the Lancair 4 but weight 700 lbs. less.
An LSA version of the SP100 was conceptualized but unfortunately I got burnt out after 5 years of 16 hours a work day full week and realized the funding will never come. I simply sold my 50% share for peanuts and walked away.
I pretty much knew the company would not get far ahead because the company was me, my love for Experimental aircraft and my vision.
I had set up Distributors with orders in Brazil and Russia and teamed Rich with Mr. Degany as his production manager in El Salvador before I left the company. Rich had left the company after a while and moved to work in Brazil developing the the Volare 400 which is a direct duplicate of the new Super Cruiser fuselage I had developed.
I must say it is a very nice four seater. The Volare 200 is a hybrid of the Super Pulsar 100 and the TR1. On their portal Volato presents Rich as the developer of the SP100 and it's a total BS.

To sum it all up, this venture was the most satisfying and fulfilling experience in my life.

Getting back to the 2 million dollar price I think the assets worth is around $100,000 and it'll take another $100,000 to relocate everything. They will be sitting another 20 years on it and then realize it's worth zero dollars.
I think aviation is moving fast towards new concepts and totally new powerplants, ie, Electric and hybrid.
Yellowhammer, This is Volato's portal: Volato Aeronaves: Produzido e fabricado no Brasil
I am now happily retired in Israel but the bug is still in me and who knows, I might come up with something.
Happy landings everyone
Solly
[email protected]

Last edited:

Solly

There are 204 Pulsars on the aircraft registration database. At $2,000,000, you would need to sell an equal number of kits with $9,800 of profit on each to break even, on a kit that sold for $18,000 (in 1998) and which has had 15 completions in the last 10 years. Adjusting the price for inflation (53%) to $27,500, that would require a 35% margin. Assuming the 15 completions represents a 10% completion rate, that you could ressurect interest in on old design to the previous level, that you successfully do that and restart manufacturing while keeping a 35% margin (doubtful), and your time is completely valueless, it would still take 13.6 years to make your money back.

Factoring in the time and effort to restore the molds and get manufacturing built up, a reasonable price in my opinion would be $100,000, except that he would have to pay me to take the business off his hands. With that sort of initial capital, I would expect that after 5 years of hard work, the business would make me a thousandaire, maybe even a ten-thousandaire, with a little luck, enough to be able to afford a kit for myself.
Its a losing proposition in any way you look at it.

aeromomentum

The Volare 200 is a hybrid of the Super Pulsar 100 and the TR1. On their portal Volato presents Rich as the developer of the SP100 and it's a total BS.
Great to hear you still have the bug and are considering the possibility of getting back in the fray.
It is also my understanding that Rich did not work on the design of the SP100 but he did work on (make?) the tooling.
The Volato 200 is not based on the SP100 or TR1. I was given a simple 3 view outline of what Volato wanted and did an all new design from there and even then I changed it from a straight wing to a tapered wing. While there may be superficial external resemblance to many other aircraft not one part or even the general design is based on either the SP100 or TR1 nor were they used as a starting point. Volato has made some changes from the design to production.

Solly

Aeromomentum,
I take back what I'd said about the Volato 200. I have been wrong stating that based on external similarities.
and yes, Rich did the tooling for the super pulsar 100 but he had nothing to do with it's design.

wktaylor

I worked with the Pulsar designer, Mark Brown, in the early 1980s at Fairchild-Swearingen. He was a stress engineer as I recall.

I watched as Mark flew a demo for my dad in the prototype Pulsar at an airfield near San Antonio TX [Bulverde Airport/airpark?] in late 1980s.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I really liked the Starlite. A 40HP direct drive V-twin on that airframe (with a shorter engine mount or the wing moved forward an inch or two), would make a fantastic little low budget cruiser.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Looks like the Starlite has a new keeper.
If I hadn't gone over to the dark side (flying wings) I'd be one of the first in line.
This came across my e-mail this morning:

Good morning, my name is Russ Emanis I am the owner of ODG Composites here in Saginaw Texas. Thanks for the copy, Gary . We have purchased all assets , molds and IP for Starlite. It is our plan to have kits available early next year , once our updates to plans and a few improvements to laminate schedules and hardware sources are arranged. . The list below are the most important things we are going to be doing different from the original kits .
1. Wings will no longer have wood skins. Wing skins will be all Composite and leading edges of wings will be pre-molded .
2. Wing spars will be all Composites. Not wood .
3. Gas tanks will be pre-molded.
4. Exhaust path under the nose will be pre-molded .
5. Seat will be pre-molded .
6 Canopy frames will be Pre-molded.
7. Fuselage halves will be pre-bonded together here.
8. All critical alignment of attachment points will be done here.
9. A bulkhead and vertical spar for Vertical stab will be one piece and bonded here into the fuselage.

There are several other things but I can list them later. I will be reaching out to existing owners to get to know them and discuss fixes and updates . I have always been a huge fan of Starlite and am blessed to now own its rights. ODG Composites will make all parts and put together the kits , Odyssey Air LLC. will sell kit and support the builders .

I am also working on Odyssey, a small plane of my own design and will have both Odyssey and Starlite at Oshkosh 2022. I haven't made any announcements yet so Y'all are the first to hear it from me . We are working on a new website for both aircraft and we will be adding updates regularly. For now, I will be adding posts to my ACI Advanced Composite Infusion Facebook page, that's a page I have used to share composites and help other with. We are about to complete 7 new molds of various parts .
I look forward to getting to know each of you.

Please share this email with the whole group.

Cheer's,

Russ Emanis
ODG Composites LLC.
216 E. McLeroy Blvd
Saginaw ,Texas . 76179

Turd Ferguson

HBA Supporter
So a $100k single seat?
And there's the elephant in the room...

Next question: What powerplant has been selected to replace the Rotax 447 ? ? There's not much to choose from in the same power/wt. that includes a PSRU gearbox. I believe the original was tested with a higher HP water cooled two-stroke engine but not sure what the results were. Almost invariably will have to deal with more weight.

I really liked the original Starlite but the revamped version will be challenged to hit a competitive price.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Looks like the Starlite has a new keeper.
If I hadn't gone over to the dark side (flying wings) I'd be one of the first in line.
This came across my e-mail this morning:

Good morning, my name is Russ Emanis I am the owner of ODG Composites here in Saginaw Texas. <snipped - Karmarepair>

Meyersg

Looks like Volato is advertising again. And some Aeromomentum engines? I hope I can get KIS (Pulsar) parts if needed. Mark, are you supplying?

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The ODG link does not work for me.

An error occurred during a connection to odgcomposites.com. Peer’s Certificate has been revoked. Error code: SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

pfarber

Latest ad.
"Basically a cirrus SR22T in numbers and size "

lol sure. You're tryinmg to pass Harbor Fright off as Snap-On

Aeromomentum? That's a bold choice. DI over port injection? Good luck with that. Highest time engine is in an airboat? Can I see some logbook entries on that?

For $200k+ it is cheaper than a new Cirrus, but way to many budget compromises. What EFIS is that? Gonna say 'not Garmin'