• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pulling a precision part from a male mold...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimace

This is what I'm planning to do.... unless someone wiser convinces me that it won't work....

As per my post in the design/structures forum, I am planning on building my wing without twist and without taper. This means that I can use the same mold for both wing halves.

My plan is to build a wood male mold... basically an exact replica of the wing, minus the thickness of the fiberglass and foam. The skin I pull from the mold will be the complete top of the wing and the bottom, all the way to the rear/false spar. I will wrap the wood mold in mold release film... Then lay up a layer of glass or two... then bond the foam sheet to the glass using a vacuum bag. Then micro the foam for a good bond. Then vacuum bag a couple plies of glass on the outside of the foam sheet. Once it cures, just slide out the plug and make the next skin.

Sure, it's inefficient for mass production, but I'm thinking it should work well for a one off design. But of course, I've always used female molds because, obviously, they give you more control over the outer shape. However, I'm figuring this technique has to be at least as precise as regular wet lay-ups.

Anybody think differently?

Back