Pseudo bandsaw

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yogi

Materials: 1 variable speed jigsaw , 1- 18"x 18" x 3/4 ply , screws . Drill 1/4 hole 2" from edge of ply in center of board. Insert saw and cut toward edge 1/4 to 3/8". stop saw but do not remove. Screw and clamp saw to ply securely. Flip assembly over and screw solidly to workbench. Works good with foam ,wood , flat aluminum stock. Wanna get fancy? Install a combo switch/receptacle where you plug in and you have a handy on/off switch.

billyvray

I do something similar with a Porta-Band saw.
I clamp the handle in a vise. I use a spring clamp to depress the trigger. I made a small metal plate screwed to the guard for the material rest.
Works great!

Tom Nalevanko

While it is great to see ingenuity, the difference between a jigsaw and a bandsaw largely deals with heat transfer to the blade. The jigsaw gets real hot going back and forth, back and forth while the bandsaw enjoys some cooling while it is off the piece. This makes a big difference when sawing plastics or laminates.

TFF

I did that as a kid. I used those little plastic mirror clips to hold the jigsaw to the wood. I used it for a long time. It beat trying to cut plywood with an exacto knife.

Yogi

Tom, you're right about the heat and the plastics. The thing I like about this setup is it leaves both hands free to guide the work. It's not ideal and not a total replacement for a real bandsaw but it does good on a lot of applications,but not all. For instance , it takes great care when cutting thick material because the blade is supported only at the chuck and side pressure while cutting will produce an unwanted bevel ( I have the scrap to prove it !! )

Tom Nalevanko

While we are speaking about bandsaws..... before I built my Stallion (took 9 years), I bought both a Harbor Freight metal band saw (upright and folddown) and an upright wood band saw. While I used the metal band saw an awful lot, I almost never used the wood band saw. So if anyone wants an almost never used wooden band saw, and can come to the Camarillo, CA airport, it's yours.
Blue skies,
Tom

skeeter_ca

Wow, i've been looking for a cheap wood band saw for my wood plane project. Unfortunately if i drove the 250mile round trip it would end up costing me more than if i just went out and bought one. Wouldn't you know it!

BTW Is it this Band saw or something similar? Might be worth it!
9" Benchtop Bandsaw

skeeter

Tom Nalevanko

I just saw your post and it is a bit late today. Tomorrow I will be in Santa Barbara. Can you come on weekdays? Looking forward to your pickup.
Tom

Tom Nalevanko

Darrell,
Yes; Friday is fine. I will phone you prior. Any time mid-day is OK for me; I will meet you at the KCMA airport and help you load. You might need a SUV or small truck but I guess that we could take it apart and put it in the trunk of a car?
Blue skies,
Tom