• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

PSA: Auster Mk. V - Really Cool Antique/Warbird Project FS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Posting this on behalf of the seller, because this airplane was once mine and I want to see it go to a good home. I'm not involved financially at all.

1947 Auster Mk. V J-1, being converted back to the wartime AOP V liaison/spotter version

Bob Frederick in the Phoenix area now has my beloved old Auster for sale. This is the post-war civilian "Autocrat" version, which I had begun to retrofit back to the (nearly identical) WW2 AOP version.

Dan Norton of Willcox AZ had bought it in England, imported this back to the US, and restored/recovered it. He got it airworthy, and I bought it, and flew it back to Los Angeles in 1992. The humorous story I wrote of this adventurous ferry flight was published by the Edwards AFB EAA chapter 1000 newsletter, and then subsequently published in US Aviator magazine.

I started the conversion back to the wartime version, using several NOS or refurb parts from England. I removed the Blackburn engine and found the closest thing to the WW2 engine (an O-290 GPU, which was essentially what Lycoming sold the British under lend-lease).

I sold it to a guy in Phoenix, who sat on it for 25+ years

He sold it to another guy in Phoenix who sat on it for 2 years.

That guy is now selling it. Cheap. It has everything but the logbooks, which may or may not be found (by the first Phoenix owner after me)

This has Stits covering (thru silver) which has been stored indoors other than my one-week ferry flight.

Call Bob Frederick at 623-535-7776, leave a message on the answering machine, and he will pick up the phone.

I believe that ten grand will buy this project. This is a 3-4 seat airplane with good performance, and it is a very heavy-duty "utility class" aircraft. 150-160HP will fit in the cowling and give you true STOL performance.

How many airplanes can you paint brown and green British WW2 camouflage on the top and bottom and be historically accurate?

Back