Provocative Places to Unfold My Wings

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 24, 2019 #21

TFF

TFF

TFF

You being use to Georgia summers, a hot day there feels like spring time in Georgia. Walmart is on the other side of the interstate. I carry mostly water in the backpack. That and a hat and sunscreen is how you survive 12 hours a day outside. I have food at the campsite or just have to get a Bratwurst, just because. When I travel I try and eat normal anyway, so make your normal stuff and take it with you. You had to buy that food at home to eat. The city of Oshkosh shuts down at 9 pm. If you don’t have a food plan, the only place open is a Perkins until morning. Not kidding.

2. Apr 24, 2019 #22

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

**** the all night coffee shop in town, I will cheerfully introduce you to at least one group of nefarious all-night campers who infest the antique area, where you will be able to have hot dogs and cold brew all night long if needed. I'm pretty sure some of the other folks here on HBA will also be able to hook you up with other nefarious and sub-legitimate entities that invade Oshkosh. If I hand you over to Suzy in the Taylorcraft group.... all bets are off.

3. Apr 24, 2019 #23

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

TANSTAAFL!

Blame the insurance companies. Costs a chunk just to have basic liability to cover things at any public event. I forgot the exact amount we paid for out last hamfest (Ham radio flea market), but ticket sales barely covered it.

Derswede

4. Apr 24, 2019 #24

BJC

BJC

BJC

Why blame the insurance companies? Their rates are driven by the jury trial system where a few sympathetic people can award huge amounts of money to plaintiffs because “someone should pay for this poor harmed person” regardless of fault.

BJC

Rhino, Pops and akwrencher like this.
  5. Apr 24, 2019 #25

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Or, blame the tort situation that makes such insurance so expensive. There's a fairly competitive market for that insurance coverage, I doubt there's much gouging going on.
    Flying airplanes near the public, people camping out under airplanes full of fuel, torches and electricity and saws in various locations-- I'm surprised EAA can get coverage at all given the present climate.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. Apr 24, 2019 #26

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

True, that. But it runs up costs for all. Greed will probably kill us all anyway. Come on, tort reform!

7. Apr 24, 2019 #27

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

It's not just insurance companies that need paying to run an event. There is a whole string of people that you legally have to pay, whatever they ask. 10 years ago, it was £25,000 to have 2 police officers at a festival for a week. They had one single minor incident in that week. One of the officers told me that they drew straws to get the job, it was basically a week's paid holiday...

8. Apr 24, 2019 #28

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

To put it in perspective, last time I went to Oshkosh I spent more on gas getting there and back than I did on admission, camping, and meals combined, and I spent more than all that combined on a purse I bought for my wife at the outlet across the street.

akwrencher likes this.
  9. Apr 24, 2019 #29

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Are there water fountains at Osh? Or do need to drag it in if you don't want to pay through the nose?

10. Apr 24, 2019 #30

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

There's free water everywhere.

11. Apr 24, 2019 #31

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

In addition to water like Scrapper said, there are free showers.... so cleanliness and hydration are no problem.

12. Apr 24, 2019 #32

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Plenty of free water. It comes right down from the sky, hydrating all the airplanes, and hydrating your clothes, and hydrating the mosquitoes.

13. Apr 24, 2019 #33

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

As it should be!
    I have yet to attend a big outdoor event in the USA. Little ones seem to lack free water.

14. Apr 24, 2019 #34

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Just remember this; You will see stuff you will not see anywhere else. Big, small, weird. Make sure you go through the woods where the airplanes camp. Definitely go watch the ultralights and see the diorama showing their flight pattern that they need to follow in the red barn. Zig zag down the custom built parking along the runway. Check the Theater in the Woods schedule. Go see the museum! It is awesome!!

15. Apr 27, 2019 #35

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Looks like my general purpose light aircraft trailer would be Mifyter ready.
    This would make a splash in a Kroger parking lot.

[​IMG]
    I've got 800 miles of potential parking lots between Indiana and Georgia and a few big cities depending on which route I pick for home (Indianapolis, Louisville, (maybe Chicago if I make a side trip)... + Cincinnati and Knoxville or Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville...).

Discovered my friends laminating machine, and laminated up some waterproof graphics for the truck doors, windows, and bumpers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  16. Apr 27, 2019 #36

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Why not pick up the poorgirl via Osh?

17. Apr 28, 2019 #37

Pops

Pops

Pops

Even when I was a lot younger I would lose 10 pounds of weigh the week of Osh from trying to see everything each day. Would be so tired I usually would stop doing the airshow and lay in the grass in the shade of a wing and get a short nap. Usually get back to the camper after dark. Early morning is the best time to get pictures.

When the 3 children were young, the Osh runners was a 1966 split window VW bus camper pulling a small foldout camper. Took 12 hrs on the interstate at 54 mph. My daughter drove through Chicago driving the VW bus and camper when she was 16 years old. Give her a 4 speed stick shift and loud mufflers and she is happy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  18. Apr 28, 2019 #38

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

Brian Boland and I perform what I call “guerilla ballooning.” We take a road trip and locate a place along the way, with a big lawn, in the early morning or late afternoon, and put one of his homebuilt hot air balloons up. One flys, the other chases. Sometimes we just stop at an elementary school, go into the office, and ask if we can get all the kids together to help us put the balloon up. We lay the envelope out and have the kids and staff trace their hands with Sharpie pens and write a note, right on the fabric, then we inflate and maybe give some tether rides.
    Brian’s dream is to go around the world in 80 days with a balloon (long distance travel will be by airline) and stop at schools all along the way and get the kids, etc. to trace their hands on the envelope and learn about ballooning and the importance of realizing their dreams. He calls it “Hands Around the World.” He’s looking for adventurous, fit people to go with him for the whole trip: from Jan 27 through April 16, and it will probably cost about $10K/person...unless you can find a sponsor.
    You can find him at Post Mills Airport in Vermont. Just listen for his larger-than-life laugh, rolling across the runway, or ring the bell and he’ll find you...or call 802-333-9254.

pictsidhe likes this.
  19. Apr 30, 2019 #39

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

While I disagree with most of "Chopsie's" post, she could go to local fairs, local airshows, anyplace where people gather for an event. I doubt Walmart or Malls will be willing to let you stretch your wings unless an event or show is also happening at the time. The liability issue really concerns large a cooperation. But small County and City events would probably welcome you to display your bird without charging you since you are not trying to sell anything. You are showing people your Hobby and a lot of people would be interested.

Oshkosh is a force to be reckoned with. You cannot possibly know what it is until you come out and see it for yourself.

That being said I have about a 95% chance of attending Oshkosh this year. I will be camping there all week. If you come, look me up and we will cook you dinner. I will be the one with the big banner sign "Volmer Club of America" on my 5th Wheel. Hope you can stop by.

Darrell Whiteaker
    President, Volmer Club of America

20. May 1, 2019 #40

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Corner:
    [​IMG]
    Second set of wooden ramps I made today, while getting spare parts and tools and stuff ready for the trip, just for loading the Poorgirl, because of it's current funky far back Tricycle Landing Gear (these can be used flipped on either side) :
    [​IMG]

I have about as much interest in taking my plane to Oshkosh or Sun N Fun as I do in being one book of a million other books in huge library or a Books-a-Million bookstore. Why in hell would you do that, and pay to do that? I think I'll pass.

The only way I'd go to Oshkosh or Sun N Fun, would be if I could park my dinky little pink and purple ultralight right next to the most expensive plane there, the one the guy has sunk $40 million into. So when he scowls at me and leaves nasty little notes on my plane, I can go "yeah, that's right, suck it!!!". But I think these shows are are class divided, so no chance I'd be parking next to an A-10 in the military section, representing the anarchist faction, even though my plane is a technically a weapon of propaganda. Maybe I could add 6 recoiless rifle tubes to the struts and that would get my pink plane in military section.

I'd much rather be the one and only glossy picture book about Fighter Airplanes, randomly in a booth at Pizza Parlor, or in the waiting room of a Dentists Office, that *everybody* picks up. How can you not pick up that book?

My plane in a parking lot with zero other competition, completely out of place like a purple couch by the side of the highway or in a field surrounded by cows, yeah, that's my venue. I pull this sucker up in a park, or at a local fair, or in front of a school before school lets out for the day, or at an RC aircraft event, it's going to get noticed.

I dare say Walmart wouldn't even say anything if I did unfold my wings in a corner without asking... and if they did, they'd just tell me to move along... they run so thin staffed everybody's busy hustling inside too much to care about the parking lot. The cart pushers don't get paid enough to care. The manager... pfft... he's got the whole store to run on his mind.

I may stop in some parking lots along the way home, just for photos for this thread... not much of an attention getter to see at the moment since the wings will be strapped down to the floor though.

I probably will just want to make time and keep on trucking, and only stop at truck stops which are easy to get into and out of, to tank all the way up. Every time I start and stop pulling this long trailer I'd be burn up extra money and time.... and have to navigate around... corners.... and traffic lights... and traffic... and risk getting myself into somewhere where I have to scratch my head to figure out how to navigate out of which sometimes involves detaching the trailer and moving it by hand 180 degrees :-/ And unlike my first plane pick up trailer adventure (where I did have to do that when we went down a dead end road exploring), this one is way too heavy to do that (therefore, I'm taking along a hand crank wench just in case).

Last edited: May 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.