• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Protrusion of control surface for energetic boundary layer and delayed separation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aircraft

In "Flying On Your Own Wings", 2011, Zenith Aircraft designer Chris Heintz talked about the protrusion of a trailing aerodynamic surface to energize the boundary layer and delay the flow separation on the trailing aerodynamic surfaces (such as an elevator or an aileron). One way is increasing the thickness of the trailing surface as the following diagram from Mr. Heintz's book (a very good book, btw). thickerElevator.jpg

The other way is moving the hinge line (H.L.) of an elevator further aft to create a protrusion when the control surface has an deflection angle, also from Heintz's book.
aftHingeLine.jpg

According to him these two methods create a more energetic boundary layer and delays separation, which makes sense aerodynamically: when you have fresh stream in the boundary layer, it is more energetic, and a more energetic B.L. delays the separation. In the book he did not give any reference on this design approach.

It is my first time seeing this and very intriguing. I have some questions:
(1) Do these protrusions really have the benefits he claims?
(2) Have you seen these on his airplanes? planes designed by other people? I do not have access to an airport now.
(3) Any sources of publication (book, paper, report, anything!) that I can read more about this?

Back