Quantcast

Props for VWs...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

challenger_II

I haven't found a prop manufacturer, yet, that will allow you to use anything but wood on a direct-drive, four-stroke engine. I've seen them used, but not officially approved.

Jean Crous

Be carefull to use a composite prop on a VW cranck (direct drive) if the cranck is cast steel. The cranck MUST be of 4340 chromolly, and preferably have the large no:4 main bearing as used by Revmaster. There are harmonics that will build up and break the cranck at about 15 hours of running , ask me, been there done that.........and had a forced landing.
Regards
Jean.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Great Plains also sells the large no 4 bearing,prop hub mod they call the Force One. They still only recomend wood props with all of their prop hubs. I fly behind a 1835 cc VW engine with a Culver 60"X 26" prop. Also building a flywheel drive VW engine of 1914 cc. Pops

Be carefull to use a composite prop on a VW cranck (direct drive) if the cranck is cast steel. The cranck MUST be of 4340 chromolly, and preferably have the large no:4 main bearing as used by Revmaster. There are harmonics that will build up and break the cranck at about 15 hours of running , ask me, been there done that.........and had a forced landing.
Regards
Jean.