Propeller duplicator plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Joe Kidd

Has anyone here built their own propeller duplicator or do they know someone who has done so. If so were any plans drawn up or obtained elsewhere for such use.

I have been researching propeller building options and found a number of sites offering pictures of such duplicators and even showing them under construction but have yet to find a set of valid plans.

I have no great urgency on this, but it is a project that I'd like to prepair myself for a little further down the road.

Turd Ferguson

Hi Joe,

Many years ago a company called "Kite Industries" sold plans for a propeller duplicator. One of the now defunct magazines, I think it was "Homebuilt Aircraft", had an article on it. This would have been early-mid '80's. I ordered plans, ~$20 but never built the duplicator.

It was a very simple device, a router and stylus mounted on a wooden parallellogram box and rolled back and forth on conduit tracks.

RonL

HBA Supporter
Re: Propeller duplicator

Hi Joe:
Prop duplicator from 1921:
Joe,
If you look at this picture, then look at culverprops.com, when you enter the site look on the left, select propellers, then select tour plant. You will see 4 pictures of a duplicator. A lot of wood and a little work, and presto you can have your very own duplicator.:ponder:

A set of plans would be nice.

Ron

http://www.culverprops.com/tourculverplant.htm

Last edited:

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Link doesnt work for me
My virus program blocks this page but it may still be OK. My virus program is a bit unfriendly at times.

Here is a ling to a similar machine - maybe even the same thing:
Clone Universal Duplicator - Contact and Orders

When I first found this particular duplicator (maybe 8 years ago?) the US price was well into 4 figures. The little bicycle handbrake mechanism is the part that has a patent.

tlcasey100

Has anyone here built their own propeller duplicator or do they know someone who has done so. If so were any plans drawn up or obtained elsewhere for such use.

I have been researching propeller building options and found a number of sites offering pictures of such duplicators and even showing them under construction but have yet to find a set of valid plans.

I have no great urgency on this, but it is a project that I'd like to prepair myself for a little further down the road.

Tiger Tim

These machines I believe were designed originally to manufacture rifle stocks. Searching for that may be more fruitful.

I don’t know where it eventually went but a friend of mine was once close to getting a duplicator that could carve five props at once!

Aerowerx

IIRC, many many years ago when they were still in business, Sears sold a Craftsman brand duplicator for use with a hand-held router. Although too small for a prop, if you Google "router duplicator", you may get some ideas for a DIY version.

Or just ask Fritz. He could have one 3D printed by next Tuesday!;)

Angusnofangus

Hi Joe,

Many years ago a company called "Kite Industries" sold plans for a propeller duplicator. One of the now defunct magazines, I think it was "Homebuilt Aircraft", had an article on it. This would have been early-mid '80's. I ordered plans, ~$20 but never built the duplicator.

It was a very simple device, a router and stylus mounted on a wooden parallellogram box and rolled back and forth on conduit tracks.
I built one just like that many years ago, exactly as you describe. Made five or six props, all for display only. I can't remember where I saw the idea for it.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I recall seeing a DIY duplicator (with plans in Sport Aviation IIRC) being demonstrated at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun. It was useful to get the rough shape, but considerable sanding still was required to have a working propeller.

I’m a little surprised that the home CNC people here haven’t proposed a CNC approach.

BJC

Hephaestus

Because there's not much to design :)

Prop flange and basic mpcnc would get you the carve. The challenge is the design.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly, these days a 3D CNC router would be far easier, cheaper, and more accurate. Probably cost not much more than a new prop... hmmm...

Group Builder