• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Propeller Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lendo

I have been working on Jan Carlsson's Prop Design Program for the last few weeks, a very interesting but frustrating process. I now see the light at the end of the tunnel, but was wondering if anyone had gleaned any additional information from Jan before he departed. I wish I had know more about Propeller design at the time I purchased his program, but he did say his new program had more of the modern approaches such as Paul Lipps's Elliptical Lift approach and what Jack Norris uses in his book (a difficult read), both of which I intend to employ as part of my 'Personal' education and research into propeller Design- providing I live long enough.

I know Jan used a combination of RAF 4 and Clark Y Airfoils, I know one was thicker than the other, but can't remember which one, as he used the thicker one toward the Tip on Wood props, any help here would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find a profile on the RAF 4 to do a comparison with the Clark Y. I would imagine for this reason the differences in angles are slightly different to the conventual maths. Only slightly at the root to just over 1° at the Tip

Now I'm led to believe that different Prop makes measure their angles at different places, some measure at the Flat Bottom, of these Airfoils other measure at the chord. I don't know what's the best and am unsure where they measure these angles from. I assume incoming Air or the Face of the Hub - confirmation would be appreciated.

Back