• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Prop questions for Rotax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

I am getting ready to replace the prop on my Rotax 582 with 3:1 ratio. IVOProp told me that I could only use a 3 blade prop if I change the gears and the prop I want is a 3 blade ultralight prop. Here is what IVOProp told me about 3 blades and 3:1 trannys;

Rotax 503, 532, 582, 583, 618 with 3:1, 3.47:1, 4:1 gear
ratios or other similar engines with high reduction ratios.
Recommendation is the meDium propeller with 5.5 inch diameter
hub. We can no longer recommend the Ultriaght model propeller
because of harmonics associated with these higher ratios
causing blades to move in the 4 inch diameter hub in the
direction of rotation indicated by the motion detector
tape that cannot be stopped with the torque value.
We no longer give refund or credit for undamaged
parts with Ultralight model on these combinations.

So my question is based on the fact that I do not have my head wrapped around prop dynamics. What would be better, a 3 blade ultralight prop or a 2 blade medium? Based on what I have heard I could probably run 70-72" on either setup with difference being 2 thick blades or 3 thin. Anyone have some science or math they can throw at this question?

Back