• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Prop effiicency vs. RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestJack

Im in stuck with a problem:
I purchased an Aerotwin engine 4 cycle 4 years ago. Two inline cylinders, turbocharged that puts out 65 continuous and 75 for a brief period of time.
the problem is that their reduction drive is not working , and its been under development for years. ( so I dont have a working engine)
I was considering removing the redrive and going direct drive. What kind of penalty am I looking at:
max continuous RPM at 65 HP is 4100.
Ive been using Raymers book on propeller sizing and using his notes on not exceeding prop tip speed beyond Mach .8
If my cruise is at 3600 RPM should I design the prop size for mach .8 at 3600, and let it overspeed for takeoff and climb?
How much am I loosing by going from a 68 " diameter prop to a 54" prop.)
Jacq

Back