Projects that get in the way....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Monty

Does anybody else have projects that get in the way of your airplane project?

I do. The Jeep is the big one, nearing completion.
jeep pics 008.jpgjeep pics 009.jpg

To give you an idea how far out of control this got, here is the frame:

frame.jpg

Then there was the rebuild the cooling baffles project:

9feb11-snow_dogs 095.jpg

Share your roadblocks :gig:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah,

I have been digging two cars out of storage blight. Trying to finish the house. And building a CNC machine. As well as working for clients. And then there's the wife. That's probably the biggest project.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Yep. My 914 is slowly coming back to showroom stock as a restoration (it was mechanically fine, but no longer pretty, since it was mostly used for time-trials), and any time I'm spending under, in, or around the car isn't getting the airplane worked upon!

And then there's the big one: Running a business. If I let it, that would consume every moment of my time, and occasionally has.

TFF

You like your going forward though.
Hummm. Me; new to me house, project cars out the ears, 1/4 scale Sopwith Camel build with some other RC rehab. Add to every day car dumping the fuel pump and then ign module. Standard stuff. Trying to get the tapes on this.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Let me see-- Helping in building 4 Bearhawks from scratch in my hanger/workshop,( making elevators at this time), have my 1962 Buick aluminum block 215 ci, 200 HP engine 1968 VW bug flat bed truck about 1/2 painted, welding new rocker panels in my 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton truck and repainting. Building the JMR Special aircraft of my design, keeping 3 acres of grass mowed. Adding more solar panels to my daughters system and adding more panels to my system. Dan

Added -- Picture of 1942 Ford Jeep that I did all body work of welding in new panels for my neighbor's project.

Attachments

Last edited:

litespeed

restoring my olden boat. A huge. 12'4" of mahagony and A 1920's yanke-e ten. der sail and rowing skiff

berridos

Finished my new house, surfboards, cnc machine...but finally dedicated fully to my plane with two years delay

Toobuilder

Log Member
Finally decided to sell one of my classic Pontiacs to help finance my next airplane acquisition, so getting that prepped for ePay is taking my time;

...next up is the interior reassembly of an old Caddy convertible so I can sell that;

...then I need to get my 63 Pontiac Catalina running;

... Then figure out what to do with my 68 ElCamino which has been parked in the shop for 8 years;

...then restore my dads old 32 Ford Roadster hot rod;

...then maintain two airplanes, a job, and find time to get away for the weekends with my wife...

... Other than that, not much excuse.

PTAirco

After man many years of being bike-less, I just bought $500 Honda Nighthawk on craigslist; 30k, basically sound, but broken/missing plastic and a little sad looking. Decided to replace/modify the plastic stuff with aluminium panels ( hardly surprising, huh...?). The stuff you see in the pictures is just roof flashing, which is great for "thinking out loud" in metal, to see what's possible and to make templates. Of course I couldn't just stop there, so most of the bike came apart, except for the engine, which ran just fine, so I'm not touching it.

Should be done in a few weeks with a shiny new paintjob.

IMG_1504_1024x768.jpgIMG_1518_1024x768.jpg

litespeed

Forgive the phone posting above.

I am restoring a Yankee Tender which is a 1920's design skiff boat of 12'4". It is built from mahogany ply and teak. It was set up for sail and rowing but will be changed to power and rowing to make it far more usefull. As a sail boat it was quite heavy given a heavy drop down keel board plus all the sail gear. Added on that was several layers of paint and it was quite heavy. A real bugger to lift on a cradle sitting on a box trailer. You will notice a heavy theme.

I have removed all vestiges of sail and heavy /keel, rudder and alreay it is now quite reasonable for two to lift and move- the drop keel(centreboard) was at least 15kg. All the woodwork for the centreboard was another 4 kg and the weight adds up. I removed the fixed seats and all up dropped at least 25kg, add the 10kg sail gear and weight has dropped fast.

This does not add in the paint which is several layers of housepaint- yes housepaint on a wooden boat! Unfortunately the paint was inside as well and that is a huge pain to remove.
but the good news is after many a night with heat gun, scrappers and chemicals- I see wood and I love wood on a boat. And now its much lighter and user friendly.

I will extend the small keel that is on the flat bottom for stability and make a motor box to take up to 10 hp on the angled stern.

With a extended keel of 4 inches and strakes? on each side, stability when still should be improved and when under way. I will incorporate some stern plates to increase waterline, and give something to climb on to get in.

I love working with wood and I can image some wild mating with a wing and propped engine- old school.

But in reality it will be a cool old rowing/power boat that is light enough to manhandle and strong enough/ seaworthy for anything I want to do. I have tested it with my crash test dummies -( three heavy buggers)- it was quite good with 2hp, untl the leaks from housepaint as sealant added 200L of ballast and panic stations was called.As a alternative to a ally tinnie- no contest.

As a project, it is fun with quick results and a worthy addition to the collection. Soon winter will be over and the water beckons.

I will post some pics later.

Vipor_GG

This does not add in the paint which is several layers of housepaint- yes housepaint on a wooden boat! Unfortunately the paint was inside as well and that is a huge pain to remove.
but the good news is after many a night with heat gun, scrappers and chemicals- I see wood and I love wood on a boat. And now its much lighter and user friendly.
That reminds me of the day I finished installing the knotty pine beadboard wainscot paneling in our stairway. After several afternoons and weekends of cutting planks at odd angles to fit the stair case and cutting molding a bit long and sanding to a perfect fit I am finally putting away tools and doing a final cleanup. From behind me I hear "I think it would look good painted green". I generally give my wife complete control over home decor, but on this I applied brakes and she hasn't mentioned it again (been about two years).

Brian Clayton

Converting this back to gas from methanol..... 554991_10151507451780822_590522559_n.jpg Trying to finish the 64 fairlane for this 20921_10151507460580822_1970215448_n.jpg And plus the other day I bought a Midget Mustang project, which ate into my fun money to finish the airplane project I am trying to finish.....

1Bad88

Not a project, but my priority, KIDS! I have tons of projects around the house that are no fun at all and won't get completed unless I do them. The Corvette continues to sit and take up space too.

I forgot to add flight training.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
After man many years of being bike-less, I just bought $500 Honda Nighthawk on craigslist; 30k, basically sound, but broken/missing plastic and a little sad looking. Decided to replace/modify the plastic stuff with aluminium panels ( hardly surprising, huh...?). The stuff you see in the pictures is just roof flashing, which is great for "thinking out loud" in metal, to see what's possible and to make templates. Of course I couldn't just stop there, so most of the bike came apart, except for the engine, which ran just fine, so I'm not touching it.

Should be done in a few weeks with a shiny new paintjob.
My CBR split a vacuum line somewhere and while she'll idle, any throttle at all kills the motor. Once I have it fixed up and you have your beast on the road, we'll have to go do some rides.

Brian Clayton

That motorblock looks like the one from the flintstones.
Pretty close, trying to make a engine ford lost interest in in the late 60's competitive today. Those are our design canted valve head for a FE style engine carved out of billet. That particular one is 525 ci and gets a pair of 91mm turbos.....goes in a 64 fairlane thunderbolt clone.....with leaf springs and radial tires.

Pops

Log Member
Pretty close, trying to make a engine ford lost interest in in the late 60's competitive today. Those are our design canted valve head for a FE style engine carved out of billet. That particular one is 525 ci and gets a pair of 91mm turbos.....goes in a 64 fairlane thunderbolt clone.....with leaf springs and radial tires.
I was running on the drag strips in Ohio and Pa in 1964 and remember the new 64 Fairlanes with the 428 engines. I was running D/G and driving a A/A for a friend. AT that time my next door neighbor drove the Green Monster for Art Arfons . Dan

Brian Clayton

Canted Valve FE; will you be my friend?
Here is a peek under the valve cover. 500cfm Fe head. 3000 hp or so with turbos. They made 1160 on a NA 527" engine. I am not too far from you when I am at work in Centerville, TN if you ever make it over this way, drop by. If not, we will probably be racing in Memphis later this year or next with the FE.ED LAV 005.jpg