Progress thread

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Captain_John, Aug 22, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

These threads are always fun.

Post your project and what you are working on, what you will be working on or have gotten done recently.

If your plane is done and you are modifying it, post something about it.

If you have a pic, all the better. I have no idea what a Gyromonsterclycliplane is!

Someone else go first. I will add mine later.

:D CJ

2. Aug 22, 2006 #2

wally

wally

wally

What I did on my summer vacation:

My Pitts S-1 is now in the hangar at a little grass strip near my home. There are still lots of little things to finish before it will be ready for FAA inspection. I have been trying to get the engine together for the last 3 or 4 months. This is an old project and it came with what I thought was a good engine.

After i bought it, I find out that the engine was put together about 25 or more years ago and never run. So I took it apart and found the case had fretting wear at the center main bearing saddle. I did find 4 good cylinders with new pistons and rings. I sent the case and the lifter bodies (they were lightly pitted) off to have them reworked and sent the crank off to have it checked.

The case was re-surfaced and line honed back to serviceable dims. the crank was cracked and came back red tagged. Anyone need a $2200 boat anchor?

I have reciently purchased a serviceable crank and am now putting this mess together. Since the case halfs were machined, the case is slightly narrower and now some of my pushrods are too long. This 0-320 Lycoming has hydraulic lifters and the way to set the valve lash is to swap pushrods until you find the right length from 4 different part numbers. I need 4 that are shorter!

My 4 serviceable pushrods ($20, each) and some other needed bits will be here in a day or two.

So I am hoping to hang the engine in a few weeks and see if it runs.

More money than I thought I would be spending for all this but still fun to work on - and I hope fun to fly!

Wally

3. Aug 22, 2006 #3

Craig

Craig

Craig

Progress

Hey John, others.

Well, I am happily at work on #7 - an AcroSport I. Got the wings and a lot of hardware from someone who donated the project to the local EAA chapter.

Didn't realize, but the chap used the wrong glue, and all the ribs were merely held together with staples. No - not the little office stapler kind - the big, heavy Bostitch kind.

Thought I would pull all the staples - and found that NOTHING was stuck together! The glue just did not penetrate the wood, and it is extremely brittle.

So - bent a screwdriver into a stapler puller, and started pulling. There are 102 staples in one of the ply-covered ribs, and up to 132 in one of the truss ribs. About ten ribs per wing, four wings plus one center section . . . .

So - pull the staples, mark the pieces, scrape off the old glue - sand (as nothing had been sanded), and re-glue with T-88. And I only have enough clamps for two ribs at a time.

Ah well, keeps me off the streets. While waiting for the epoxy to cure, I have made all the aileron hardware, and am starting on the steel tubing. Finally getting good at welding again!

Also have to varnish inside all the closed spaces - two coats. Finished the center section, even the drag/anti-drag. Looks excellent! It is even square!

Hope that ya'll are busy on your projects too - let us know how they are doing.

4. Aug 23, 2006 #4

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

I got a minute, so I suppose it is my turn now.

The last two years have been spend doing my empennage and wings of my RV-7. The wings are 95% done, out of the jig and into the cradle.

[​IMG]

Since that photo was taken, my ailerons, wing conduits for wiring, flaps and many lower skin rivets have been installed.

I have begun work on the firewall. Here is a pic of the firewall all clecoed together.

[​IMG]

Today I am countersinking the firewall reinforcement brackets and have some friends coming over to do some more lower wing skin rivets.

I am hoping to have the fuse fairly complete (metalworking-wise) by this time next year!

5. Aug 24, 2006 #5

cgwendling

cgwendling

cgwendling

Let's see, this year I have made 24, 1/4 ribs and installed them in the wings. Made the ailerons, installed them. Made the floor and installed that into the fuse. Remade my panel. Fixed a damaged gap seal on one of the aileron bays.:mad:
    Made bell cranks, attach brackets, control pivots, and dozens of other hardware pieces. Just ordered my 8" wheel, tire, brakes and tail wheel assembly. I can finally get the ugly temp gear off!!:D
    Have to varnish everything, take it all apart and do some covering.
    It seems that these last stages are all about putting things together, taking them apart, puttin them together..........:wail:

6. Sep 2, 2006 #6

gahan

gahan

gahan

summer progress on mini max

Hi all; I got more done this summer than i had anticipated. have full vw on test stand , have fitted cowl and oil cooler working on carb , updraft under Eng. welding intake manifold it looks like the big boys. the engine was provided at a very actractive price, by one of my EAA club members that has to sell out his volks plane he's been working on about the same time as i have been working on my Max. he has developed a problem with motor and balance skills, Sure hope they can get a handle on a treatment.
    I am real close on paint just a couple items to poly spray and then final paint tones of blue camo. and german squdron markings ME 109
    yellow nose and tail.
    that's all that is new. have a good holiday tom gahan

7. Sep 6, 2006 #7

jgnunn

jgnunn

jgnunn

the past year

finished one wing!

This moment has took a long time coming. The sense of accomplishment is awesome. I know it's only one wing, and it isn't covered, but still, the darn trials and tribulations that went into that thing...

It has been a year since I started the project. At first glance it doesn't seem I did much, but sitting back and thinking about it, I accomplished the following:

- built all ribs for upper and lower wings, and ailerons.

- built all four ailerons.

- made all tip bows and center bow.

- acquired a dismantled '75 skybolt for salvage.

- media blasted the fuselage and empennage.

- extended the shop.

- insulated the shop and fitted two window AC units.

- built a wing

So not too bad after all.

The port wing should go much quicker because:

- I've learned from mistakes the first time around.

- Every time I needed something like drag wires, plates, hardware, I purchased, fabricated and sprayed for all the wings where possible.

- Jigs like the trammell bar, drag wire drill jig, and I-strut drill jig are already made.

So...on to round 2...

8. Sep 7, 2006 #8

Papakeith

Papakeith

Papakeith

CJ, you know about my progress, but I'll share with the HBA crowd too.

since starting my Bearhawk build in May I've made 46 nose ribs 14 center ribs, 4 back ribs and two tip ribs.

Right now I'm working on creating the next aluminum order so I can make my spars and finish up the ribs for the wings.

9. Sep 7, 2006 #9

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

UL project

I've started this project about two months ago; it's a single seat, high wing pusher (somewhat like a Drifter in layout), all metal construction with fabric covered wings and tail. Engine will be a MZ201 of 45 hp. Hopefully it will make the UL category but either way it will be registered as a homebuilt (LSA?) so I can fly from here in Corona. My aim was to get away from the usual hang glider derived engineering and ladder type wings and use more conventional methods.

Currently working on the wings; very conventional metal construction: flanged ribs, D-box L.E. up to 30% of chord the remainder fabric covered. Seperate, Junkers-type flaperons. I used the vacuum method for pre-bending the 0.016" wing skins as described by someone here and it worked amazingly well. You really need two people though, because a 12' long sheet is very hard to handle and incredible fragile - I got a couple of wrinkles just moving it, but nothing serious.

Just finished rivetting up both front sections, the rear ribs will follow.
    I am using Cherry Q rivets for the spars (0.040" webs with 3/4" x 1/8" angle caps) and closley spaced Cherry N rivets elsewhere. My $50 Harbor Freight pneumatic riveter is great fun and works perfectly.

10. Oct 25, 2006 #10

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Current biplane project

This is my long term project (I'm also doing an ultralight); fuselage is mostly done, controls, seats, tail, some of the landing gear and all the wing ribs. Lots and lots of them. All conventional steel tube and wood and fabric, but I have gone out of my way to keep the design simple while incorporating my some of own ideas on what a classic biplane should look like. Engine will be a Chevrolet 350 with direct drive (though if you used alloy heads to save a little weight, you could use a PRSU). If I could afford it an M14D radial would be nice too.

Attached Files:

11. Oct 29, 2006 #11

wally

wally

wally

Hi,
    Your engine choice caught my attention. A fellow here built a low wing pretty much his own design plane and used a direct drive Chevy LS1 350 (all aluminum) engine. I think it was a mid '90s Camaro engine. He bought it used and just bolted it on and flew it. Well a lot more than that, he worked long and hard reassembling the wiring harness for one thing. He did make some radiator changes to get it cooled after he got it flying too. He retained the existing engine computer and kept the engine stock.

He liked it very much. He had a short aluminum prop extension bolted to the flywheel and it flew very successfully. He used a ground adjustable pitch 4 blade "plastic" prop - don't remember the kind.

He moved shortly after getting it flying so I haven't seen it for a couple of years. There was an article in EAA magazine about it. He called it the Junkyard Dog.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    Wally

12. Oct 30, 2006 #12

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Junkyard Dog

Yes , I believe I read about that airplane in Sport Aviation. We had a Curtiss Hawk replica here on the field in Corona, the owner of which died a few years ago. The airplane was also powered by a 350 engine in direct drive and now resides in the March Ar Force museum, I believe.

I hope to use a slightly more sophisticated drive using a stub propshaft and a bellhousing with a heavy duty bearing to take all the prop loads.

13. Nov 1, 2006 #13

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

:ban: A mockup rudder pedal and a nice medal handle of some sort.

Attached Files:

14. Dec 20, 2006 #14

gahan

gahan

gahan

progress on max

Here it is 5 days from cristmas. I'll be on my project for going on the third year. Curently working on mag for full VW installation. Think it's timed enough to fire up. will spend a couple days with carb and hope to fire up for new years eve.
    tom gahan

15. Dec 20, 2006 #15

Craig

Craig

Craig

End of year report

Well, here it is already the end of 2006 - and quite a bit of progress has been made.

The Acro Sport I wings are done - and look good. The controls are all in the wings, drag/anti-drag, etc. Everything works great.

The control stick and torque tube are done, as are the rudder pedals, tilwheel steering, etc.

Yesterday evening I finished up the horizontal stabilizers and elevators.

BUT - now it will all get hung ont he hanger walls while I take time to build a Fisher Celebrity. I estimate about a year for this project. Working in wood is fun, a bit different from the steel tube I've been cutting, bending, and welding. Going to go back to playing with the T-88.

So far we have everything for the Celebrity except some small hardware bits and Grove gear - we have engine, wheels, brakes, instruments, etc. Even fabric to cover it. Hopefully it will go quickly.

A very Merry Christmas and splendid New Year to all!

16. Dec 20, 2006 #16

velojym

velojym

velojym

My available time to work on the 801 is scattered and light, but we have an assembled rudder and the rest of the tail is laid out and ready for assembly.
    [​IMG]

17. Dec 21, 2006 #17

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Velo,

Looks GREAT!

My RV project is progressing as well!

The tailcone is ready to rivet and I am doing a few here and there. More when friends come over!

Pics to follow!

18. Dec 21, 2006 #18

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Progress report for the end of 2006:-

Tail removed, fuselage inverted, bottom wing skins on, working on the bottom fuselage skins.

Superior IO 360 engine kit has been delivered and is waiting assembly.

MT 3 blade prop due at the local prop shop tomorrow, will be assembled after Xmas.

The Big Bucks that are still to be spent are now limited to instruments, avionics and paint.

Total time to date about 4 1/2 years, with probably another 15 - 18 months to go.

Estimated hours to date about 2,500 of actual construction, with double that in "thinking time".

Wishing all a Merry Xmas and an excellent New Year.

Rob

Attached Files:

19. Dec 21, 2006 #19

jgnunn

jgnunn

jgnunn

as forecasted, the second lower wing is now complete. Now I have to build a 24 ft chevron shaped work bench for the upper wing....

Back in August, I also created an online forum for biplanes. It is getting very popular for us 2-wing guys.

2007 should see the upper wing done by the spring. Then I will go to welding classes at a local tech and start some steel work..

20. Dec 21, 2006 #20

jgnunn

jgnunn

jgnunn

that's some nice woodwork there Rob...