Quantcast

Profili 2 Airfoil Database for Harry Riblett GA Airfoils

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Viper22

Does anyone have the Harry Riblett GA airfols (GA30, GA35, GA37, GA40) already entered into the Profili 2 airfoils database? Would like to get a copy if possible. Thanks!

Viper22

No they are not ... Harry put them out there for public consumption and use ... all data points for each airfoil is listed in Harry's book ... these point can be entered into the Profili program and saved for each airfoil ... just checking to see if someone has already done this and has the electronic files for them ... would save lots of manual work and time. Thanks

Hephaestus

Mr riblett had some interesting beliefs is copyright/patents etc. Why they're generally not found online.

There's a thread somewhere on the legal opinions but basically no there's no real protection for a set of numbers printed in a book that an airfoil can be derived from.

That said - most have respected his wishes that they not be shared except via the book.

Norman

HBA Supporter
Copyright covers words, pictures, and software but not data or technology. A table of numbers is data so no copyright on the coordinates themselves although the compilation (the book and all its pages) are protected. In other words don't photcopy the pages. Airfoil shapes are technology which could be covered under patent but he didn't do that so once the data describing that shape is transcribed you can do anything you want with it.

Norman

HBA Supporter
That said - most have respected his wishes that they not be shared except via the book.
Why? He didn't respect the legitimate copyrights of others so why should people honor his unfounded claims? There is no copyright on data even though he claimed it. Authors can claim less IP protection than the law allows but they can't extend it to include new restrictions.

lr27

Curious about the violated copyrights. I actually have one of his books. He's quite the ranter.

Hephaestus

Why? He didn't respect the legitimate copyrights of others so why should people honor his unfounded claims? There is no copyright on data even though he claimed it. Authors can claim less IP protection than the law allows but they can't extend it to include new restrictions.
Given he derived his airfoils from the work of others... Yeah - it's questionable - like I said there's a thread out there (rcgroups? Asking why they weren't on airfoil tools etc).

I think because his were derived from others - that's where the patent issues got complex. The argument you needed to buy his book to get the coordinates was his income... Can argue it or run with it.

Norman

HBA Supporter
Curious about the violated copyrights. I actually have one of his books. He's quite the ranter.
Just something I read a long time ago from someone who actually is an authority on this stuff. Riblett's " GA Airfoils" contains a bunch of photocopied articles and apparently not all with permission.

lr27

I just flipped through again. He does seem to push "fair use" AWFULLY hard. In some cases an entire short article.

Norman

HBA Supporter
Given he derived his airfoils from the work of others... Yeah - it's questionable - like I said there's a thread out there (rcgroups? Asking why they weren't on airfoil tools etc).
They probably could have been patented even though they were derived from NACA thickness forms. It is and always was common practice to start with a seed shape and tweak it untill you get the characteristics that you want. Airfoils are not generally patented because it's just not worth the time and money. Anyone who likes your super duper patented airfoil can just use it as their seed to make a new, nearly identical, airfoil. The thread you remember might have been this one. I posted a link in that thread to an old Usenet thread commenting on this very topic. The debate about Riblett has been going on a very long time and it's always the same. His books are protected under copyright, at least the parts he wrote himself, but there's no IP on the airfoils. I'd post a couple of .DAT files but my real computer is being worked on right now.

Last edited: