Problems Moving Throttle Quad - Extending Cable and Adding Curves?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Saville

Hello everyone,

I hope to tap into the wide-ranging knowledge here to ask advice about a project I have in mind in my RV-8: I could see where the idea I have could be problematical.

Right now the throttle quadrant (throttle, prop, mixture) is in the standard location as specified in the plans:
Present_Location.jpg

It works fine but I do have to bend my wrist around to work the throttle:
Present_Location_wrist_bend.jpg

What I would like to do is move the quadrant up and inboard a little. Maybe something like this:
Possible_Location_1.jpg
To do that, I would have to buy longer cables for the controls, and introduce another bend which goes inboard and up.

I'm concerned that this additional bend will cause a problem but I don't know enough to really know.

I suppose one option is to re-route the cables higher up on the gear tower which is at the forward end of the quadrant console.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

Saville

Change the throttle lever to an extended and bent style, or an extended grip. That will move your hand more inline with the forearm. Either is much more simple than moving the entire quadrant.
I want to move the entire quadrant inboard and up.

Do you see any issues with that that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the RV-8 setup, but it does seem like an extended lever with a wider knob would be a lot simpler than moving the entire quadrant.

Saville

Probably need to talk with the RV-8 guys over on VAF...I don't know the 8 structure at all.
Already posted over there months ago. No real reply.

it's not the RV-8 structure I'm asking about but, rather, the generalized concept of lengthening and adding a curve to an engine control cable

bifft

The trick is going to be where it goes thru the "gear towers". The quadrant is pretty close to that. If you move it over far enough that it goes to the side of the tower instead of thru it you should have no problems other than hitting the cables with your legs. Might also mean moving where they go thru the firewall as well to keep the bend radius down.