• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Problem here or no??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Long story short....My son wanted to "help" me the other day, as I was sanding down and blending the gussets on my wing ribs. I used 1/16th mahogany ply for them. I told him what we were doing and why, and he started helping me. I wasn't to awfully concerned about him screwing anything up, but later on I noticed that where he'd been sanding them, he had exposed about an 1/8th inch or better of the middle core of the ply, where it is glued to the top/bottom cap strips. The bottom ply, and the inner core, and maybe a 32nd of the top ply remains. (on the cap strip). In other words, just about all of the top ply is sanded away. The inner core and the bottom ply slope and terminate at the bottom/top of the cap strip. Should I peel the off and replace them......or do you reckon they'd be okay? My gut says replace them, but ****....I dont want to if I dont have to. You guys' opinions and/or solutions would be appreciated! Goes to show.....the guy who said "if you REALLY want to help me, then don't."....he knew a little something!

Thanks crew.....I appreciate it.

John

Back