"Probable Cause"

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

Log Member
5 seconds means someone was sleeping. Would love to fight someone in the ring when he can't counter punch for 5 seconds. :)

I had a crankshaft break in flight, didn't know I had to wait for 5 seconds to pull the power. If I had waited 5 seconds the engine wouldn't have been on the airframe.

Like BJC said, Way to long.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
All pilots and especially test pilots should have a takeoff plan to eliminate the startle response, manage the energy and extra airspeed and with shallow climb.
Instead he chose aggressive climb angle.
Was this the first flight?

Saville

He was told not to fly the aircraft on that day. Who disobeyed that order?

Got that in writing? A written order not to fly the plane? Signed by him?

Or, alternatively, did you have a written agreement and procedure such that he
could not fly the plane unless he had a written release from you signed by both of you?
And can he produce such a release?

If not then it's your word against his. Even to some degree, in the latter case.

Maybe you wouldn't get any money out of him by winning in court but public defeats in court on his record should hamper his ability to make money by flying other people's planes.

Did you pay him for some of his work?

However by posting what you've posted about the incident in this and other threads, you may have destroyed your ability to succeed in court. Doesn't sound like you care about that now.

But in general, people with a case ought never remark on it in a public forum if they think there's a chance of going to court.

dwalker

Got that in writing? A written order not to fly the plane? Signed by him?

Or, alternatively, did you have a written agreement and procedure such that he
could not fly the plane unless he had a written release from you signed by both of you?
And can he produce such a release?

If not then it's your word against his. Even to some degree, in the latter case.

Maybe you wouldn't get any money out of him by winning in court but public defeats in court on his record should hamper his ability to make money by flying other people's planes.

Did you pay him for some of his work?

However by posting what you've posted about the incident in this and other threads, you may have destroyed your ability to succeed in court. Doesn't sound like you care about that now.

But in general, people with a case ought never remark on it in a public forum if they think there's a chance of going to court.
I was sued by a customer a decade out so back that posted his one side and in some cases falsified story all over the internet. When we went to court I won because I had all the documentation he thought did not matter, and that showed that I was making exceptions to my policies, and under protest doing exactly as he was asking. One of the things he had done in his arrogance and of knowing he was in the wrong, was to bully my employees while I was out of the country to show him to remove items from my shop, some of which were his and some of which were very obviously not.
The entire time this was going on he must have joined hundreds of forums and groups specifically to post his crap.
My lawyer forbid me to respond at all, and I followed his directions to the letter.

In court not only did he lose, but the judge told him point blank that if we were in a criminal court case he would be lucky not to be arrested for theft among other things, and he had actuality documented his crimes himself in the internet in dozens of places.

Not smart. I do not think TX is in the sand position, and he has probably already run this by his lawyer, but for the rest of us the general rule to live by is less said publicly is usually better when dealing with legal issues, especially in a case like this.

don january

Log Member
What gets me is the Mustang looked to be near to 250-300ft. up when power lose occurred. Did not appear to be a high speed taxi with a short hop. It appeared more like he was heading for altitude.

TFF

That’s the point. The pilot said what the heck, let’s go. He had to be climbing steep because he was trying to get maneuvering speed back when he pitched over. If he had a shallower climb, he would have had a better chance. There was plenty of runway. At least take the gear off in the overrun not runway.

Saville

Was the landing gear in the retracted position at the moment the engine stopped? I cannot recall from previous threads and posts.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

I wonder why Gryder won't let us see the whole video that he claims to have.
Gryder is also silent on how he learned of the accident and his sources of information.
"I've done research on this" could well mean "somebody served me this stuff on a plate, and now I'm giving it to you as clickbait."

bhooper360

On the first page, the pilot's response to the engine failure at 13:20 is generally appropriate. He pitches over at 0g, and you can see the FPV helmet cam moving upwards when as gets light in the seat.

Both the angular rates , establishing glide and in the flare, are very conservative. The flare was appropriate given what is (presumably) a highly-loaded wing with no flaps. He lost energy establishing glide with a ramp up in the pitch rate, which was not appropriate. This is not a particularly egregious mistake, since the 0g endpoint was correct.

The flare was well-controlled especially true given the high descent rate. There was no abrupt change in pitch rate to suggest panic. Broadly, he maintained positive control of the aircraft until touchdown. It was an excellent crash. He was not "lucky to have survived."

A (visually) steep climbout angle does not necessarily mean that it is inappropriate one.

From the parts in the video which I skimmed (9:00-13:00), my first impression is that the test pilots 'judgement was extremely poor. He presumably was alive and uninjured after the crash, and the FPV footage is a good learning experience, so thank you for sharing this. (Note: many pilots are uncomfortable at <1g flight conditions, and paradoxically many wings are very comfortable here!)

So the very clear difference between a professional test pilot and a guy hired because he can fly the plane and has some background with it seems obvious (...)
Elliot Seguin is awesome. I watch the all stuff he posts on his team's Instagram.

Last edited:

CAVU Mark

IMHO... If I tell you not to fly my plane and you do, and then you destroy it. You are responsible for the damage. This is regardless of the condition or design of the aircraft. Stay out of my plane! Don't touch my plane!

Oh... and if I crash a plane I am certainly not going to let the world see how it was done.