Prize Money

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by jedi, Jan 27, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2018 #241

manolis

manolis

manolis

Hello Victor Bravo

You write:
    "Although all of this has misled many, it is still possible that Boeing legitimately hoped that some inventor could develop a personal flying machine that would safely carry one person for 20 miles, and still fit into the small/quiet parameters of their competition. It is completely possible that this was their "goal" as is written on their page.

The fact that their "requirements" are not as stringent as their goal clearly tells me that they are well aware that their "goal" was too optimistic."

Things are different.

If you read the Flying Demonstration (go directly to 2.2. of Rules and Guidelines),
    they will not measure the range (the total points for the range are exactly ZERO),
    and the contestants must complete their demonstration into 20 minutes.

To make 20 miles into 20 minutes (1/3 of an hour) you need an average speed of 60mph (52kts).

The average speed threshold during the six rounds around two pylons arranged half a nmi from each other, is only 30kts.

The winner is quite possible to be a very quiet (50% of the points), very compact (40% of the points) and very slow personal portable flyer (the average speed around the pylons counts for only 10% of the points).

It is like the fear the range.
    The 20 miles range is only for their dreams (aspirational GoFly vision!)

This is what I am trying to explain to them.

And you all, as members of the home-built-airplanes forum, know what a serious problem an extremely short range (like 7 miles or even like 20 miles) is or can be.

The strange thing is that BOEING is not commanding GoFly to adjust their rules to reality and to the common sense.

No matter how quiet or small a Personal Flying Device is, no matter how many million dollars in prizes it won, if its range is only 7 miles it is useless for most applications.

Thanks
    Manolis Pattakos

2. Mar 28, 2018 #242

BJC

BJC

BJC

Why do you keep asking us the same question over an over? Email them yourself.

BJC

3. Mar 28, 2018 #243

manolis

manolis

manolis

4. Mar 28, 2018 #244

BJC

BJC

BJC

5. Mar 28, 2018 #245

manolis

manolis

manolis

Hello BJC

You write:
    "That is a discussion forum. You might try their email address, gofly@launchsquad.com "

What is the difference between what you got in private, than what I got in public?

It looks like they e-mailed you a copy (cut and paste) of their reply-post to me in the forum.

If they take the same question from many, they may think about it.

Thanks
    Manolis Pattakos

6. Mar 28, 2018 #246

TFF

TFF

TFF

Rules change? The contest is a publicity stunt. Ever sense the beginning of time these things are stunts. If there is really a good idea in the mix Boeing will have first crack at the technology. More likely, they are just testing the waters to see if their ideas are better or worse than the outside world. Personal belief, exposed blades will not be allowed to win. To 1950's. To dangerous in a crowd. They want magic.

7. Mar 28, 2018 #247

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Does it have to be VTOL? Maybe I missed something, but I got the impression they had a vague description/goal (as in 'not a requirement' kind of thing) like 'almost VTOL'. :D

In other words, even hobby MOTAs could apply, like the one in the following video.
    [video=youtube;C_CukSzts_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CukSzts_Y[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Mar 28, 2018 #248

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Unfortunately you are still not understanding the very high probability that Boeing is not interested in common sense, technical feasibility, or whether their rules make sense. They are also very likely to not be interested in hearing any opinions from the public, especially a group of experienced aircraft enthusiasts like HBA.

The reason for this is that (in my opinion) Boeing's GoFly competition is nothing more than a publicity and marketing endeavor.

Imagine that Boeing has been watching Red Bull's Flugtag event for years, and has decideed that they should have some sort of event to generate similar publicity. Or imagine Boeing wants to use the huge public interest in Red Bull Flugtag as a model to get more young inventors and technical people interested in working for Boeing.

But Boeing cannot allow itself to appear whimsical like the Flugtag event, so the "event" must be seen as something more scientific or more serious, even though the actual goal is to attract people instead of creating an viable flying machine.

If you look at it from this perspective, perhaps you can see the answer to the questions and mysterious rules of the contest.

Now, we happen to have one or two people on this forum who might know a bit more about Boeing from a slightly more informed perspective. It is definitely not my place to address these people directly, but it is fair to say that we would all like to know their opinion of what Boeing's underlying goal is for this competition.

flyboy2160 and DangerZone like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2018 #249

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

Agreed. After working at 4 big aerospace companies, I'd add some other factors: PC and unearned environmental and success guilt.

These places are so overrun with PC, they need to salve their PC, egalitarian, and Green guilt with hair brained schemes the internal PC cheerleaders float. They don't have the intellectual ammunition to see that their regular products, provided by their regular engineering and commerce, provide great benefits.

BJC likes this.
  10. Mar 29, 2018 #250

okeydokey

okeydokey

okeydokey

Firstly I don't think they expect anyone to fully satisfy the goal, and is an effort to make the competition seem to push more boundaries. This pretty evident in the difference between the goal of 20 miles and the actual length of the test course being only six. Read the rules and realize that the best design will win, and it will most likely not satisfy the goals of the competition. All you have to do is build something that is better than everybody elses.

On another note, If you win in phase one do you have to continue to the next phase to keep the money?

11. Mar 29, 2018 #251

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

So it can win, even if it's too big, too noisy and has inadequate range?

12. Mar 29, 2018 #252

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

C'mon Boeing, give me an easier target, eg. 'fly a 103 over Everest'.
    'Rules' that may or may not be compulsory in order to win really grate with my inner grammar Nazi.

13. Mar 29, 2018 #253

okeydokey

okeydokey

okeydokey

sure, as long as it theoretically is small enough, quiet enough and goes far enough. atleast for phase 1 :)

14. Apr 19, 2018 #254

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Already been done.

Now that Phase I is closed. Anyone have info on numbers of applicants or other comments.

15. Apr 20, 2018 #255

manolis

manolis

manolis

Hello Jedi.

Quote from http://goflyprize.com/news/gofly-celebrates-phase-i-submissions/

"Congratulations to all our innovators and teams for your submissions in Phase I of the GoFly challenge! Over 600 Innovators from over 30 countries across 6 continents have submitted their designs. Your technical prowess and enthusiasm to change the world are evident in your entries, which our team looks forward to reviewing in greater detail in the coming weeks. This exciting moment marks the first step in our collective mission to revolutionize flight, transportation, and the world as we know it!"

It seems that even from Antartica (the South Pole) are competing in the GoFly.

GoFly should announce the number of applications, not the number of innovators (an application, i.e. a design, can have dozens of innovators).

Thanks
    Manolis Pattakos

16. Apr 20, 2018 #256

jedi

jedi

jedi

Manolis,

Did you submit?

17. Apr 20, 2018 #257

manolis

manolis

manolis

18. Apr 20, 2018 #258

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

If there is a prize for sheer volume of device graphics, we have a definite winner.

pictsidhe and BJC like this.
  19. Apr 20, 2018 #259

jedi

jedi

jedi

Manolis,

Thanks for the links. I wish you luck and success.

I did not submit for reasons listed on this site.

I noted the high noise penalty and posted a ducted fan configuration to reduce the noise footprint on the EAA.org web site UL Discussion Forum while the HBA site was down. That proposal is suitable for electric power but could also be powered by four of your units producing 20 + hp each.

Consider that you have my assistance whenever appropriate.

20. Apr 21, 2018 #260

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

He may have a test pilot position available. Hopefully it pays very, very well.

BJC likes this.