Privateers first flight

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
First time I have ever seen a first flight with no crash helmet, no shoulder harness, and the test pilot fumbling with his cell phone within a minute or two of the first takeoff.

Harvey has a lot more experience as a test pilot than I do, but this still spooks me a little.

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
Bill showed me over the aircraft when I visited his facility. He also had his unlimited twin-engined Reno racer design there as well (Gumbo). The work on them was exceptional (thanks to Suzi, his composites fabricator). He was very proud of his creations and justifiably so. He was a creative engineer who is sorely missed. I’m certainly glad to see that the Privateer has made it to flight and I am really looking forward to seeing Gumbo take to the sky.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
He really liked this one. You could tell every time he talked about it. And his last design to fly. Dang, I miss him. :depressed

Great to see it flying. Really a nice airplane.
He loved this design. It had everything he liked combo of hydro and aerodynamics all rolled into one big optimization. Talked to him about it a couple times. Nicest guy ever.

skier

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought was, “isn’t that Bill’s design”.

This place hasn’t been the same without him.

radfordc

Harvey has a lot more experience as a test pilot than I do, but this still spooks me a little.
Flying comes so naturally to Harvey that he just doesn't know that the rest of us think it's a bit dangerous.