Primer substitute? Lumidize® Aqueous Pretreatment

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I just didn't know where else to put it. Interesting that it can replace the primer coating or is the primer coating.

Victor Bravo

On their site somewhere it says that it makes epoxy adhere better. They were referring to epoxy paint, but if this stuff makes epoxy paint stick to aluminum then it might make epoxy glue stick to aluminum. If that proveso ut, then structural metal bonding on homebuilt airplanes may emerge from the shadows and cobwebs of the past...

blane.c

HBA Supporter
On their site somewhere it says that it makes epoxy adhere better. They were referring to epoxy paint, but if this stuff makes epoxy paint stick to aluminum then it might make epoxy glue stick to aluminum. If that proveso ut, then structural metal bonding on homebuilt airplanes may emerge from the shadows and cobwebs of the past...
One of the things I was wondering.

Victor Bravo

What would the Graphene do to make the aluminum itself more bond-able? My understanding was always that the microscopic oxidation layer on the aluminum prevented a good bond from happening with any adhesive. If the Graphene made the glue stronger, but the aluminum itself still didn't like glue, what is the gain?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Exactly.
Graphene would bond to the Lumidize? Lumidize would be bonded to the aluminum. If that works the potential is for an extremely light and strong joint.

Victor Bravo

Well, if the Lumidize is a chemical (or electro-chemical) process that changes the aluminum, then it may also change the galvanic or oxidation properties of the aluminum.

I believe that is the beauty of Alodine and other "conversion coatings".

Maybe the nice folks at Carnegie-Mellon can provide some of that info, and then some of our scientific brain trust here on HBA can convert that into "Bonding for Dummies" so I can understand it.

I can hear it now, the airport Barbershop Quartet singing "Sweet Alodine" :)