• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Primary builder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
I am considering the purchase of a partially completed homebuilt. It was a Fisher FP kit, which I understand to be more like a materials package than a kit in the modern sense. Certainly nothing "quick build" about it. And the original builder was pure amateur. So I have no concern about qualifying for EAB. Assuming I take this route and finish the aircraft, I would like to qualify for a repairman's certificate for it so that I can perform the annual condition review.

Current status:

Wings: largely built, but space for the ailerons needs to be cut out of each of the four panels, the ailerons need to built up from the cutout pieces, and modifications need to be made to the ribs to permit proper deflection both ways and to reroute the control tubes (apparently, Fisher changed the dimensions of the rear spar cap but failed to update the plans appropriately). Also, the TEs will need to be modified to blend with the rest of the wing. Wings and ailerons need to be covered.

Fuselage: largely built, but reinforcing structure needs to be added to support a heavier engine than originally planned and to support a beefier landing gear than foreseen in the plans. Sturdier rudder pedal attach fittings are needed. Pedals probably need to be moved and possibly require additional structure under the floor. No instrument panel yet. Fuel and oil tank need to be fabricated (which I would probably outsource). I intend to install my Rotec 2800 radial. Engine mount and all engine accessories are needed. Windscreen(s) needed. Space for a door or doors needs to be cut out of the fuselage and these fabricated and fitted. Fuse needs to be fabric covered.

Tailfeathers: largely built but need covering

Cabane: wing mounting plates were improperly drilled, need to be redone for proper angle of incidence

N-struts: need to be fabricated and installed

Flying/Landing wires: need to be fabricated, wings need to be properly rigged

I am sure I will find more that needs to be done, but if I complete the above, am I likely to be deemed the "primary builder"?

Thanks

Back