Quantcast

Pride and Pilotage

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Wanttaja

..or as allegedly said by an Air Force pilot who had ejected from his jet and was told that his aircraft had hit a house, "F*** them for living on the ground!"
Like the line in "Piece of Cake", when one of the pilots is told his plane hit a house and killed two parents and a baby: "Two and a half yoiks can't fly a Spitfire, can they....."

Ron Wanttaja

Kevin N

Chopper girl, that bag of gold coins actually gave me a life. With that bag of gold coins I bought a house, raised a son and bought all kinds of stuff. I don't care if you think I sold out. I had a job for 38 years and paid for those seeking "free stuff" by paying staggering income taxes. Even though I traded my life for a bag of gold coins I kept my foot in the door in general aviation, the airline job was for a paycheck.

Aesquire

Close friend was an avionics tech on A-4's in the Marines.

They had a plane strike a bird on an attack run in training and the windshield shattered but held, the startled pilot yanked the stick and pulled over 9 g's bending the plane. A lot. Made a safe landing. Pilot... Marine Aviator I mean, told Crew Chief, "Your plane broke". Crew Chief told Aviator, "You broke my plane!".

N8053H

Chopper girl, that bag of gold coins actually gave me a life. With that bag of gold coins I bought a house, raised a son and bought all kinds of stuff. I don't care if you think I sold out. I had a job for 38 years and paid for those seeking "free stuff" by paying staggering income taxes. Even though I traded my life for a bag of gold coins I kept my foot in the door in general aviation, the airline job was for a paycheck.
What I liked about that pic. It was not long ago she was on here spouting she needed funds to build an airplane. What she really needed was someone else's funds. For she has gold.

Rockiedog2

back in my other life I was required to attend frequent high brow social events. not fun. I tried to be invisible off in some corner but some lawyer or the like would always come over and ask "what do you do?" so he would then get to tell all about his latest big case or new condo on the beach or whatever...you know, the generic stuff non airplane people are so wrapped up in. My standard answer was "heavy equipment operator". That always got rid of em...

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
back in my other life I was required to attend frequent high brow social events. not fun. I tried to be invisible off in some corner but some lawyer or the like would always come over and ask "what do you do?" so he would then get to tell all about his latest big case or new condo on the beach or whatever...you know, the generic stuff non airplane people are so wrapped up in. My standard answer was "heavy equipment operator". That always got rid of em...

"Farmer" does the same thing. Say it with a smile and start talking about milk cows.

Jon Ferguson

But you say that money is made by the strong at the expense of the weak? What strength do you mean? It is not the strength of guns or muscles. Wealth is the product of man’s capacity to think. Then is money made by the man who invents a motor at the expense of those who did not invent it? Is money made by the intelligent at the expense of the fools? By the able at the expense of the incompetent? By the ambitious at the expense of the lazy? Money is made—before it can be looted or mooched—made by the effort of every honest man, each to the extent of his ability. An honest man is one who knows that he can’t consume more than he has produced.

Atlas Shrugged

Reactions: BJC

Victor Bravo

Seen on a Tee shirt at Oshkosh one year, long ago: "If you aren't a tailwheel pilot, you aren't a real pilot."

Seen the following year: "If you don't fly a Pitts, you aren't worth ****."

BJC
I once met an old old guy who had flown the F-104 in squadron service, and heard a couple of bone-chillers from him. I would have loved to have been there at OSH for the conversation between him, the "tailwheel" shirt guy, and the "Pitts" shirt guy :)

Then again, I might have hit my "smart a**" button a few times and offered to create a shirt for the '104 guy :)

That being said, if I had a smart a** T-shirt about glider pilots having more on the ball than anyone else, I'd be wearing it too ;)

Daleandee

I flew with a guy who said he wouldn't fly anything that he had to bend over to preflight.
On William Wynne's site I found where he mentions Dan Weseman and one of his principles that I really liked:

Dan Weseman has a personal rule I find interesting. He will not fly a plane that can not out climb its glide slope.
from here:

https://flycorvair.net/2012/11/17/steel-tube-fuselages-safe-planes-and-250mph-accidents/

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
124.7 hours / Status - Flying