Quantcast

Pride and Pilotage

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Not to be confused with "Pride and Pejudice", despite the similarities. :gig:

I thought I would start this thread where we could throw out various observations, analysis, quotes, and funny sayings or stories about the typical "pilot's attitude". I know there have been similar discussions but I could not find them; feel free to combine this with another if you wish. Primarily, this is a vehicle I created to share a funny saying that I read on a friends T-shirt, so have fun!

Here's my offering:

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.

These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
"Whenever I hear of culture... I unlock my Browning... " -- Hanns Johst

I can't say I've ever heard anyone brag about being a pilot, or even say they were. Usually the only way you will find out is they talk about the plane they have, built, or flew. You just kind of infer that because they have a plane or flew one, they then therefore are a pilot.

I imagine its like the captain of a pirate ship. They don't talk about being a captain, they talk about the ship by name. Cause the ship is like their Millennium Falcon... same with planes.

Maybe it's different with airline pilots, who work the job 24/7, and it becomes their life. But then I feel sorry for those kinds of people. They've basically traded their life for a bag of gold coins. I imagine an archaeologist in 500 years will dig up their skeleton in their American Airlines Uniform with an American Captain pin on their chest, a hundred years from now, clutching a purple Seagram's Corona little bag of gold D&D coins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Bravo

Maybe it's different with airline pilots, who work the job 24/7, and it becomes their life. But then I feel sorry for those kinds of people. They've basically traded their life for a bag of gold coins.
It's a pretty small bag these days. A brand new airline pilot these days is on a Top Ramen Soup budget. In Los Angeles a few years ago they caught four or five of them living in a travel trailer in the airport parking lot, because they could not afford an apartment. It takes several years before they are making the same living as an average plumber or construction welder.

Don't worry too much about these poor people, it's not like they're responsible for a bunch of people's lives or anything.

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was at a small-town festival first week of June, and during the parade there was a small drone flying overhead, presumably recording the event for posterity by a local media outlet or similar. All of a sudden, Joe Pilot was walking down the sidewalk, telling anyone who would listen, "He can't do that! That's illegal as $#!+! I fly airplanes, I know!"

As I pondered explaining the rules of Class G airspace and lack of proximity to Class E airspace, and safe operating altitudes of unmanned aircraft, I just opted to nod at him and think to myself, "You go, pilot guy."

We're an interesting bunch. So that's what I'm putting on a T-shirt: "I fly airplanes, I know!"

BJC

HBA Supporter
Seen on a Tee shirt at Oshkosh one year, long ago: "If you aren't a tailwheel pilot, you aren't a real pilot."

Seen the following year: "If you don't fly a Pitts, you aren't worth ****."

BJC

M

Manticore

Practising emergencies:
British Instructor "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. In that order."
My (very) French instructor "F*!%k ze tower. Fly ze f*!%king plane."

Kiwi303

Practising emergencies:
British Instructor "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. In that order."
My (very) French instructor "F*!%k ze tower. Fly ze f*!%king plane."
So that is British and French...

What would the Germans and Americans say?

German: "Alles in Ordnung, In Trouble you get you disobeyed rules, you too stupid to live, point plane down and hit ground like good boy, save courts time."

American: "In an emergency the only Air Traffic Control you need to pay attention to is the guy in the F16 on your wing making signs."

??