• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Presurization - Whats it take ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarnes

All the talk about the Raptor being nothing but a Velocity with pressurization got me wondering what it takes to properly pressurize a home built plane.

Would it be possible to pressurize a Velocity ?
What kind of modifications did it take to pressurize the Lancair IV ?

There's very little to be found on the net. From what I could find, the Lancair relied heavily on Piper Malibu parts for the actual pressure regulations.

My thoughts on pressurizing a Velocity would be to only have one door with a double handled latching system like the IV-P. Reinforce the frame around the door. Thicker windows with some kind of gasketed/o-ring free floating frame that pushes from the inside. Controls on legacy airplanes seem to be sealed with boots. Would PM's idea on the Raptor of sealed bearings work instead boots, or would the bearings start binding as they see uneven pressure loads ?

Even a light pressurization of 3psi would allow cruising in the mid-teens without a nose tube and maybe cruising in the low 20's with just a nose tube instead of face killing mask.

Back