Quantcast

Pressure Recovery Wheel Pants

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jeffd

Been looking for a set of off-the-shelf pressure recovery wheel pants for use with 6.00 x 6 tires. Plenty of examples out there for 5.00 x 5 tires, and Vans and Sam James RV-10 pants are sized for the smaller diameter 15 x 6.0-6 tires, so are not a good fit. Ultimately, might need to loft the required pressure recovery shape for 6.00 x 6 tires, but I don't see much design info out there regarding the most effective shape. Anybody have any thoughts/pointers? Thanks,

Jeff

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Kind of ran into the same problem a while back, but I needed the 15x 600-6 size. I even purchased a set of RV 10 pants from Van but found them to be absolutely huge. I ended up making my own using a bit of theory and a bunch of TLAR. The results did improve my cruise speed by 12 MPH indicated on the Hiperbipe. Though fitted to the 15 inch tire, I was most concerned with getting the brakes completely inside the OML, so they will also work on the larger tire. They'll just stick out the bottom a bit more. I planned a set for the Pacer and the Starduster. These are unique in the sense that I made them symmetrical so that I would only have to do one mold shape for all four halves. I lost count of the hours I have in that mold, so I would not want to do another!

Tom Nalevanko

I find the design intriguingly and delightfully simple. I wonder if there will be any significant difference from drag at the speeds this type of planes fly. Saw the picture on this French aircraft design website HKW-AERO

I have special augmented-aero wheelpants on my Cessna and they are a real pain when it comes to adding air or removing for bush flying.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Consider this:

a buddy races his Rocket at Reno and picked up 4 MPH by simply closing off the small gap between the tire and very tight wheel pants. He did this with silicone baffle material as a rub seal. In light of that, I'd say the "half" wheel fairings shown in the last few posts are sub optimal.

Head in the clouds

Perhaps this is an easier solution? What does this group think about this approach?

View attachment 22631

Blue skies,

Tom
Yah, I put virtually identical on a bigfoot Drifter in '89, for a 8000Nm trip, gained 2kts (4%) abandoned them on 2nd day due vibration, mud collection, ground contact and other hassles. There's a farmer probably still storing them in a hayshed waiting for me to collect...oops!

jgnunn

I bought the sam james rv-10 pants for my 6.00 x 6 tires. Having cut them out and fitted them, they look fine. I too had bought the Vans RV-10 pants, but sold them because they were HUGE.

autoreply

Perhaps this is an easier solution? What does this group think about this approach?
Very draggy. The exposed area will shed a trail of turbulence. On the other hand, it's lighter, probably cheaper and you don't have most of the operational problems (overheating brakes, grass caught in between) that normal pants have. Many of the Rallye also fly with them.