Quantcast

Press a button save the plane avionics

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

way_up_noth

I’m in the construction phase of my build... but you sometimes have a question

Is anyone offering the press a button save the plane like cirrus does...does dynon have that feature or other experimental avionics firms?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A little vague... Are you talking about the Cirrus parachute - to "save the plane" in case of structural failure, or the Garmin Autoland system to "save the plane" in case of pilot incapacitation?

What scenario are you trying to "save" the plane from?

way_up_noth

A little vague... Are you talking about the Cirrus parachute - to "save the plane" in case of structural failure, or the Garmin Autoland system to "save the plane" in case of pilot incapacitation?

What scenario are you trying to "save" the plane from?
Not related to the parachute...all software and auto pilot.... The avionics levels the wings ..raises the nose..and so on

Pilot incapacitated or flying into clouds and getting disoriented

Wondering if it’s exclusive to the cirrus

Last edited:

TFF

I believe it’s a newer addition so market has not had time to acclimate. Generally if you can’t level the plane out, the autopilot will not either. It’s called pilot training. If you are in that situation, you have stuck your neck way too far out. Panic is what is killing you not the plane.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
OK, the "wings level" function is available on most of the current experimental AP's. So is a "180" function.

That is a long way from a "save the plane" description though. That level of automation helps, but isn't going to fix thunderstorm penetration, airframe icing or structural failure - just a few of the common situations that a "save the plane" button would drive.

Turd Ferguson

No, the cirrus vision has a one-button autoland. If the pilot becomes incapacitated, a passenger can push the button, the plane will fly to the nearest suitable airport and land without any further input.

Hephaestus

The autoland is part of Garmin's new electronics suite. Will probably get integrated into multiple certified aircraft.

Probably 5years before we see it in an experimental/homebuilt panel.

A basic wings level autopilot system and synthetic vision (see the mountain approaching you're about to crash into) would save more than a few IMC lives every year.

cvairwerks

A good friend led the LM team and they won the 2018 Collier Trophy for Auto GCAS... this is essentially what you are talking about, with some additional triggering points. Not a task for a single person to develop, unless you want to dedicate years to it.

way_up_noth

OK, the "wings level" function is available on most of the current experimental AP's. So is a "180" function.

That is a long way from a "save the plane" description though. That level of automation helps, but isn't going to fix thunderstorm penetration, airframe icing or structural failure - just a few of the common situations that a "save the plane" button would drive.
I’m a bit of a land lubber .. buiding and training at same time... my original post was not very helpful

Now that I know what to search for...as posted above here is a video about it... Garmin auto land

Thanks guys

Last edited: