Quantcast

Prepping plywood for T-88.....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The wood handbook was based on adhesives that needed really good fit up, nicely planed surfaces, and serious clamp loads. We have T-88 and West, which will fill gaps, do not need much clamp load, and will give you glue joints that will hold better than the wood for longer than anyone you know will live. Be happy...

Billski
I am.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
In edge gluing, you're bonding to the side of a bundle of straws. Sanding the bundle of straws gashes the sides of them open or crushes the cells. There is more on this in the Forest Product Laboratories Wood Handbook.

View attachment 104826
I have read this information or similar before, it is hard to figure what to do with it in light of what is now common practice?

User27

I've used 5 types of resin, Aerodux (brown), Aerolite (white) - both need very close fitting parts and good clamping - and also West, T88 and L285/H286. The last 2 can be modified with various fillers - may be T88 can also but I haven't used it much. West & 285 can tolerate wide(ish) bond lines and low clamping forces, in fact light clamping is required to avoid squeezing out all of the resin and weakening the joint. Most of my experience is with composites but we use the same techniques on wood - seems to work!

BTW we sand and then brush or blow off joints and don't wipe with acetone or any other solvent to avoid spreading any contaminants that are around.