• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Preparing to build a TBD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valy

Hello, I'm happy to join this forum.

I'm looking at starting a build of a single sitter that I hope to use for commuting 30 miles daily, weather permitted.
I'm pretty good with mechanics (restored and rebuilt cars, engines, bicycles, appliances), electronics (my other job) and some carpentry.

Is there a consensus on what that TBD plane should be? My basic criteria is:
1. Fly 30 miles with some spare gas for surprises.
2. I need to be able to build it.
3. I need to be able to finish it in 12-24 months.
4. I'm budgeting about $15K for plans, materials and engine. Could pony up $10K more if a quick-build will save a lot of time.
5. Needs to fly in and out of Class C/D airspace, so no ultralight (unless it is registered)

This community rocks!
Thanks captains!

Back