Preparing to build a TBD

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
Indeed. Some pilots never even get comfortable flying a C-172 or Cherokee - which are the 2 easiest airplanes in history.

But the point to "try before you buy" is valid, and pretty much a given anyway. Why would you build/buy something you are not SURE meets your mission? There are a lot of poor/marginal flying homebuilts out there - some by design, some made that way by the builder. That said, a well built Tailwind is not among that list. By all reports and some personal experience, they are a honest, stable and benign airplane that should not present even a student any real issue. I'd bet that an hour in a Citabria would be enough to tell if a student could transition to a Tailwind.

At any rate, let's try not to promote the idea that an airplane is beyond the capabilities of an unknown individual reader.

Toobuilder

Log Member
And just in case the OP is still bothering to read this thread -

I was "social distancing" with my neighbor yesterday afternoon and I brought up the Tailwind referenced in post 51. He was familiar with it, and he then mentioned the Tailwind hanging over our heads in his hangar was for sale. Too many other projects, apparently. It's a formerly flying project that needs recover and reassembly. It includes a 0 SMOH Lyc O-290. He'd take $5k.

...Cheap flying is a phone call away, people.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member

I was "social distancing" with my neighbor yesterday afternoon and I brought up the Tailwind referenced in post 51. He was familiar with it, and he then mentioned the Tailwind hanging over our heads in his hangar was for sale. Too many other projects, apparently. It's a formerly flying project that needs recover and reassembly. It includes a 0 SMOH Lyc O-290. He'd take $5k.

Man, that is such a good deal!!

Valy

I'm sure cheap flying is possible. But the fun is the build process. I'm not looking for a deal on a project. I'm going to build my own plane.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Sorry, I thought your goal was a useful airplane in 12-24 months for $15k. That's exactly what a restoration project like the illustrated Tailwind delivers. If you want to "build" from scratch, then you better re evaluate your time, cost and performance constraints, because frankly, you're in for a shock.

In the real world, "fun building" and "fast and cheap" are almost always mutually exclusive

thjakits

I think you mentioned you wanted to use the resulting aircraft for daily commute, right?

What to you have available to fly in/out from??
Any restrictions on runway length, surface?

thjakits

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Hummelbird is a single seat. Half VW or full VW. Should fly 30 miles. Most of the near ultralights... Earthstar, Titan, Challenger.
BD -6? Old Starlight kit.

David Lewis

I find that people stare at the ADSB instead of looking out. Almost hit by a Barron. Whatever we did he would turn toward us. I believe people just got stupider with that box.
Ditto for weather radar, glass panel, or anything that encourages overconfidence.

Dillpickle

I find that people stare at the ADSB instead of looking out. Almost hit by a Barron. Center was talking to both of us. He claimed he did not see us. We volunteered to drop 1000 ft because we could see him coming. Whatever we did he would turn toward us. I believe people just got stupider with that box.
I checked out a new pilot in his Cirrus. He was looking for additional instruction and had ten hours in type, and maybe 100 hours total. He was what my old instructor called an airplane "driver" and not a "pilot." We approached a quiet but large airport, his face locked on the screen. I admonished him to scan and look outside of the aircraft. He was aghast at the thought of the several aircraft I pointed out that didn't transmit location to his little box. He was actually angry that someone might be allowed to share airspace without his ability to see them.... I'm pissed at the people who trained him...