premix oil

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

After reading thru this, lots of good info. Just for grins, I will tell you about the two stroke that I have the most hours behind. A SAAB 96 with a 3 cyl 2 stroke motor in it. I rebuilt it and drove it for quite a few years. Attached to the gas cap was a large tag that said "Add one quart of oil every time tank is filled." No special oil, just std 30 weight. Engine never fouled a plug. If you pulled the choke out....it did resemble a mosquito fogging operation. Joggers hated me.

It was a load of fun to pull into a station, buy a quart of oil, and with the attendant looking on in horror, pour the quart of oil into the fuel tank. Little car did quite well, thru the mountains of NC and Tenn. Had more than one gas station attendant run out shouting, "It goes into the motor!" At which point I'd pop the hood and ask......Where?

Derswede

Daleandee

After reading thru this, lots of good info. Just for grins, I will tell you about the two stroke that I have the most hours behind. A SAAB 96 with a 3 cyl 2 stroke motor in it.
Great story! As a young buck we used to make our money walking the neighborhood and mowing lawns. Had an old Wizard mower with a two stroke engine. Never heard of any two stroke oil we just used whatever motor oil we had available (sadly it was 30W Quaker State) and those little engines ran forever.

Found an internet pic:

1634446124364.png

TFF

Unluckily Ugly American can hit 2 strokes too. My friend’s dad was the proud owner of a new LawnBoy with electric start. Those things were expensive. Lasted 30 minutes. No oil. While he understood the concept of premix, he thought it came that way from the gas station. 99% of the American experience of 2 stokes through the 70s, that were not riding dirt bikes or small boats. The Cox .049 fuel came premixed, right? Chainsaws were too dangerous for this crowd, to know.

Ken Powell

If you want to start an 'oil war' go to some of the motorcycle forums and state that oil xxxx is horrible stuff and yyyy is the best on the planet. I've been racing 2 stroke bikes for 50 years and I'm partial to Golden Spectro and Amsoil Interceptor. But the duty cycle of a dirt bike isn't nearly as hard as a 2 stroke airplane engine. As always with a 2 stroke, jetting determines reliability.

Daleandee

I've been racing 2 stroke bikes for 50 years and I'm partial to Golden Spectro and Amsoil Interceptor. But the duty cycle of a dirt bike isn't nearly as hard as a 2 stroke airplane engine. As always with a 2 stroke, jetting determines reliability.
What!!! Who would ever use those oils in a race bike??? 😁 You mean something like that?

I've heard nothing but good things about both of those oils ... but I don't have a race bike. I do have a four stroke street bike and run, of all things, Rotella 15w40 conventional oil. Yeah I know, "that's only for diesels!" :popcorn:

wanttobuild

BillW
I have 10hrs PIC AirCreation Trike 582.
Never had any training, just OJT @ 2000'.
I don't recommend that approach, but it worked for me.
After years of study, reading, gleaning pearls of wisdom here on HBA, I have slowly accepted the #1 guiding principle that now controls my aircraft building fundamental thought process.
No Rotax Engine will be used on aircraft that I fly.

n3puppy

I do have a four stroke street bike and run, of all things, Rotella 15w40 conventional oil. Yeah I know, "that's only for diesels!"
Rotella has many uses ;)
Back in the day - Late 1970's - had a good friend who was a supervisor at an OMC Evinrude Plant.

Told our snowmobile club that OMC 50:1 oil was nothing more than Rotella.
They bought it in 55 gallon drums, added blue dye coloring and repackaged into OMC containers.
The engineers had tested it - good to 100:1 in the low performance outboards of that time.
We ran it at 25:1 in our air cooled snowmobiles because he got it for us at employee discount.

Doubt BRP (Rotax) continued that practice after they bought OMC.

reo12

Some of us remember when it WAS motor oil! :)
If you can find it, read what the fuel mix was for the old O&R .99's... :)
Yes - I do remember mixing 30wt motor oil at 16:1 ratio with leaded gas back when for $0.65 you could buy 2 gallons of gas or a 12 ounce bottle of Coke from a vending machine.

reo12

Rotella has many uses ;)
Back in the day - Late 1970's - had a good friend who was a supervisor at an OMC Evinrude Plant.

Told our snowmobile club that OMC 50:1 oil was nothing more than Rotella.
They bought it in 55 gallon drums, added blue dye coloring and repackaged into OMC containers.
The engineers had tested it - good to 100:1 in the low performance outboards of that time.
We ran it at 25:1 in our air cooled snowmobiles because he got it for us at employee discount.

Doubt BRP (Rotax) continued that practice after they bought OMC.
Actually - Rotella T 15w40 was a multi use oil. It was intended for mixed fleet use in gasoline and diesel engines. I seem to recall it was the first oil rated as such. Back in 1981 I bought a 1966 Diamond T with a 6v53 Detroit. I was sold a barrel of Rotella T 15w40 to use in it. Sheesh - talk about oil consumption. 2 quarts per 80 miles! Detroit Diesel came out with a service bulletin to not use the multi-viscosity oil in the 2 stroke engines due to increased oil consumption. Use only SAE single grades. So - that truck got it's own drum of 40wt. I proceeded to use the Rotella T in the fleet of vehicles, dump trucks, and equipment - forklifts, endloaders, tractors, It has served me well for now nearly 3 million miles.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Great story! As a young buck we used to make our money walking the neighborhood and mowing lawns. Had an old Wizard mower with a two stroke engine. Never heard of any two stroke oil we just used whatever motor oil we had available (sadly it was 30W Quaker State) and those little engines ran forever.

Found an internet pic:

View attachment 117036
Thanks for posting that picture. That was my first lawn mower in about 1960 when living in an apartment in Pittsburgh, Pa. Had about 100 sq' to mow.
I have never seen another one and never knew the name of it. It got so wore out that the only thing it would run on was my model airplane fuel . With that fuel it would go thru tall grass like a buzz saw. Never seen a lawn mower so light weight as it. Have no idea how I acquired it.

Last edited:

reo12

Thanks for posting that picture. That was my first lawn mower in about 1960 when living in an apartment in Pittsburgh, Pa. Had about 100 sq' to mow.
I have never seen another one and never knew the name of it. It got so wore out that the only thing it would run on was my model airplane fuel . With that fuel it would go thru tall grass like a buzz saw. Never seen a lawn mower so light weight as it. Have no idea how I acquired it.
I had a Wizzard up until the shop burned. It was hanging on the wall since 1979. I think it was an 18" cut. One of oh so many oddities I had.

BillW

BillW
I have 10hrs PIC AirCreation Trike 582.
Never had any training, just OJT @ 2000'.
I don't recommend that approach, but it worked for me.
After years of study, reading, gleaning pearls of wisdom here on HBA, I have slowly accepted the #1 guiding principle that now controls my aircraft building fundamental thought process.
No Rotax Engine will be used on aircraft that I fly.
Wooah!