• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Preferred bench layout and shop design for building wood aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

Hi again folks,

It seems that some people like their OSB EAA Chapter 1000 modular tables or modified versions. Some others go whole hog and build box jointed torsion box oak veneer carpentry masterpieces. I have space, some tools, and am putting together a place in a basement to comfortably and accurately build some wooden aircraft parts, and would love to hear your preferences and lessons learned.

At at the moment I’m leaning toward a metric version of the EAA1000, say 1.5m x 75cm, but adding a second mdf facesheet under the deck to make a poor man’s torsion box. I think 4 would be enough to handle my spars at 5m, and one should be plenty to have several rib and control surface assemblies going at different stages. I saw one modification to the EAA1000 I liked that buried a nut in each leg and a carriage bolt head down as an adjustable leveling foot.

I want to build a dedicated stand for my band saw and another for my drill press. I have a shop vacuum to gather sawdust and shavings. I have an old Bailey/Stanley No.3 plane that I’m currently in the process of restoring as well.

That’s where I am right now. I’d love to hear everyone else’s tips and tricks and especially if there’s something I need or am forgetting about.

Cheers,

Austin

Back