• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Predator (Harbor Freight) 670cc: Airboats, PSRU, Crank breaks, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I ran across this site yesterday for a company (Lonestar Hovercraft) selling PSRUs for airboat use here in the US. They have a kit ready to mount on the HF Predator 670cc (22 HP) engine. Cog belt or V-belt versions, 1.66 ratio (other ratios available). They've been running them on airboats for awhile, I don't have an independent source of info on reliability. Apologies if this is old news.

IMG_3856-100x100.jpg

The price is $799-$924, which is quite an add-on for a $729 engine. Still, it does get the prop loads off the crankshaft, it does get the prop higher up (handy), and it does allow use of a larger,more efficient propeller. (And, it adds more things to go wrong.)

7 minute video on the V-belt product here, emphasis is installation.

Here's a video on the cog-belt version.
In the comments section: Total weight for engine+PSRU+ propeller is 121 lbs. They are turning 3-blade props of 52" to 59".

FWIW, a comment at the above video wrote:
"The only problem is their 22 Hp only use a 1" shaft to others use a 1 1/4" shaft for 22 HP and I broke my shaft off. I had used it for one summer with no problems the next spring I fried it up in my yard and the shaft broke off so direct drive I WOULD NOT USE. your set up looks very good to use good job."
I have nothing much to add, except to say that the 1" shaft, with the keyway cutout, with the "lumpy" torque pulses of any V-twin might be something to watch in a direct-drive application.

This company also makes similar PSRUs for industrial engines made by Kohler, Honda, and B&S. They claim the larger PSRUs weigh about 15 lbs.

Design: The tension is adjustable, but none of their drives have the "live" idler as seen on the (no longer available) Valley Engineering unit.

Anyway, this might be a source in addition to Ace--a little closer to home.

Jan Carlsson's prop program says a 55" Dia 3-blade prop driven at 2182 RPM (3600 RPM engine speed) and designed for 85 MPH will have an efficiency of 80% at that airspeed, which gives an expected thrust of 78 lbs at that airspeed.

For comparison, a direct-drive 42" 2 bladed prop at 3600 RPM and optimized for 85 MPH would be expected to have an efficiency of 73.8% and an expected thrust of 72 lbs at that airspeed.

Same setups optimized for 50 MPH:
55" 3-blade with PSRU: 65.3% efficiency, 108 lbs of thrust
42" 2-blade, 3600 RPM direct drive: 54.3% efficiency, 90 lbs of thrust

Back