Preceptor Pup Wing Rib Dimensions

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ma77

Hi all. So my issue is I do not have enough information about the wing rib for the Pup/Super Pup/so on. My plans do have a template, but my plans are in electronic form, and I have no dimensions for proper sizing of the rib.
Would anyone have a lead on this information? Or maybe a a formed rib?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Hawk81A

I have a plywood cut out made by tracing one of the formed ribs from my formerly owned Ultrapup. I will measure it tomorrow if you haven't come up with anything by then. Dennis

Ma77

Thank you, Sir.
No I haven't had any luck yet. I contacted the company I ordered from and I've put put in a holding pattern. I appreciate anything you can help with. This detail is what is keeping me from starting the build.

Respectfully,
Matt

Hawk81A

My apologies. Been a hectic weekend and I forgot about this. I just went out to look and I can't find it. Found part of a P-51 radiator, a KR-1 landing gear, a MK75 practice bomb, but no wing ribs. Could just be where I can't see them. I'll look more during the week

soneraifred

The Preceptor N3/Super Pup/Ultra Pup wing uses a Goettingen 387 airfoil. The chord is 48”. The main spar centerline is 9-1/4” from the leading edge, and the rear spar centerline is 24” aft of the main spar centerline.

Ma77

I completely understand, we all have families. Thank you, but please don't go to far out of you way. I appreciate all your help.

Matt

Ma77

The Preceptor N3/Super Pup/Ultra Pup wing uses a Goettingen 387 airfoil. The chord is 48”. The main spar centerline is 9-1/4” from the leading edge, and the rear spar centerline is 24” aft of the main spar centerline.
Thank you! That's a lot of info

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
I just recently found the “fly preceptor“ forum. I joined the other day and downloaded plans to several of the variants. Just poking around the plans, I too saw that the rib drawing has no dimensions or mention of the airfoil. Looking at carlsons website for spar material I noticed they sell ribs as described by soneraifred. They are kind of pricy but buying one for a pattern might be worthwhile. The forum is not very active at all but I think some builders do monitor it so help could (theoretically) be had if needed. The plans are high quality scans and are very legible.

Ma77

I just recently found the “fly preceptor“ forum. I joined the other day and downloaded plans to several of the variants. Just poking around the plans, I too saw that the rib drawing has no dimensions or mention of the airfoil. Looking at carlsons website for spar material I noticed they sell ribs as described by soneraifred. They are kind of pricy but buying one for a pattern might be worthwhile. The forum is not very active at all but I think some builders do monitor it so help could (theoretically) be had if needed. The plans are high quality scans and are very legible.
Thank you. I have contacted them for a few more dimensions as well as a picture to compare to the plans. It may not mean anything ultimately, but I'd like the visual.

Ma77

I wanted to share what Carlson's Aircraft sent. All together this style would save weight. They make two styles. One for stitching and the other for riveting. The cap strips are .50 inches. They are the same basic shape and dimensions.

Attachments

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Looks a lot like the Skylite/Lil Bitts ribs except they use “widgets” to connect to a round spar. So the caps are just right angles, not C sections? I didn’t see any fluting at the curved section. Maybe it just doesn’t show up in the photo. N3 pup is on the short list.

Ma77

Some new information.
I went to Staples and had them print the wing rib page to standard 24x36 inch blueprint size, and the rib is almost (if not right at 48 inches. I measured a lightening hole and a spar cutout, those too were close if not right on. This I can work with.
Now the Butt Rib is different, but I can fix that.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Ma77

Oh, before I forget. For some who are new to building and/or this post, remember to add 1/8 inch around the rib template when cutting your rib blanks.