Quantcast

preceptor aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

parkert51

I was supposed to pick my kit up on Saturday July 30th, but Duwayne did not show. This arrangement was set up by the Rutherford County sheriff's department, so breaking it was not a smart move. The detective wants everyone who has an unfilled order with Preceptor Aircraft to contact him with the details of the order. If you have emails from DuWayne, include them. Regardless of how small the order is, if it is unfilled, contact the detective. If you have had numerous contacts with DuWayne, make a timeline. On the left side of the page, note the date of contact. On the right side of the page list the details of that contact. Cutting and pasting emails is OK. The more information you can provide, the better.
Detective Philip Bailey is handling the case. His email is: philip.baileyHEDOESN'TLIKESPAM@rutherfordNOREALLYNOSPAMcountync.gov (remove capitals) They are going to get a warrant for DuWayne's arrest on fraud charges and he will probably be arrested shortly. If you have questions about the timeline, let me know and I'll help you. We're going to bury him under a mountain of fraud charges. I hope he looks good in orange.

Marty
On a sad note, I know you were attempting to work things out with Duwayne. I know you did'nt want to hurt the guy and yet he gave you no alternative. If I can ever help you with anything please let me know.

jmt1991

In no way did I want it to take this route, but this is how DuWayne wanted it. I will wait to see what happens with the criminal proceedings, and if I have to , I will initiate civil proceedings against him. I have been patient, and offered help such as paying his fuel cost to meet me halfway, and I even offered to ship any outstanding orders for him when he delivered my kit. I am not angry and bear him no ill will. I just want my plane, and will do whatever it takes to get it. Jail time or kit delivery, it's his choice.

centred

Greetings All,

I'm so glad I found this thread. I have been looking at the Pup design for about a month now and considering about buying one. There are two kits currently for sale in my state from private parties. I'm considering purchasing one of those instead of going through Duwayne.

I like the Pup because its a scaled down J3 Cub and I've always loved the Cub but as my first kit build I'm concerned not having that corporate support while I build it. Would getting a used kit still be worth it even if there is no company to support it, especially for a first time builder?

On a side note, I'd love to build one of the Pup design's using a wood (instead of 4130 steel) frame. Would anyone know someone with the aeronautical design skills to do something like that? That might be a good way to startup a Pup-like design ;)

Thanks,
Steve

parkert51

I have been considering such a design myself, just don't have the time right now.....

Tom Parker
Thunder Aviation
http://thunderaviationengines.com
Aircraft Engines!
Custom fuel tanks!
Fabrication services!
Welded airframes!
Machine shop services!

Home of the Thunder Hawk and the Thunder 165.....

parkert51

Well here is my thoughts... Wood spars and ribs, wood bulkheads and formers for the fuselage with aluminum spanners. Wood tail feathers and all fabric coverings. This I believe would shorten the build time, done right would produce a very lite and strong airframe and work very well. That's just my initial thoughts but currently with all my projects I cant afford the time nor money. Now if enough people wanted it and would put up a small sum on future kits to help cover development I would make time and build it......

Who Knows, might be a winner.......

centred

I'm thinking of just using the Ultra Pup plans and converting it to a wood spar. I'm no engineer so I'm not sure how well this would work. One problem I envision is that the fuselage/empanage will be lighter so some extra weight added to the aft would be needed (I'm thinking maybe a battery or something else useful). 1x1" fir is surprisingly strong but it would be interesting to get some break data to see how much more I need of it compared to steel.

WBNH

Of course I'm hopeful the Pup can be resurrected/revived, but could it be improved by converting it to mostly wood construction? Seems the Fisher 202, the LMA 3/4 Cub, and other cub-like-things in wood already have that market covered. (But I suppose there's always room for one more...)

As far as wood construction goes, I like where JDT MiniMax is heading with lazer cut and etched ply...really making it big-model-airplane "Tab A to Slot B" assembly.

On a tangent, to those wishing to obtain rights to the Pup (Kudos and good luck)...does Hipps Superbirds still have the J3 Kitten? Their fastback version (Reliant) seems like a good analogue for the Pup. They don't seem to have a web presence...info is hard to come by.

Both the Pup and Kitten could benefit from a new 40 horse powerplant (although, following electric development, I'd love to see the Pup-E...or eKit.)

Sorry for the tangent to the thread.

parkert51

Well I have decided to design and buld a very similar aircraft in kit form. It will not be a copy but similar. It may be a while has my plate is very full at the moment. But once evrything is in place I will let you guys know.

Tom

jmt1991

I was supposed to pick it up on July 30th, but DuWayne pulled another one of his B.S. stories and never showed up. This time he screwed both myself and the Rutherford county sheriff's department, which was a very unwise thing to do. They have issued a warrant for his arrest on fraud charges and are looking for him. His days of freedom are numbered. The detective told me that he would call me when DuWayne is arrested. I can't wait for that call!

Marty

bmcj

HBA Supporter
On a side note, I'd love to build one of the Pup design's using a wood (instead of 4130 steel) frame. Would anyone know someone with the aeronautical design skills to do something like that? That might be a good way to startup a Pup-like design ;)
Although, I'm not a fan of the Fisher line, I'm sure they might have something close to what you are after. You might also want to look at the Pietenpol... not quite a Cub (more like a vintage parasol design), but they are very popular, well proven, and have a big support group. Piet's are a very straight-forward wood construction (but you can also find plans for a welded tube construction for those that want metal).

Just a word of caution... if you are looking for an ultralight (Part 103 compliant), the Pietenpol will not meet this requirement; it will however fit into the light sport category. I'm not sure if the Pup or Fisher will meet Part 103 requirements; you'll have to do some research to find out.

Two more benefits of the Piet over the other two: it is a true two-seater, and you should be able to sell it for more than the Fisher or Pup if you decide to sell it.

Bruce :)

Pietenpol:
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
Pietenpol Official Air Camper Pietenpol Family Website Air Camper Sky Scout Blueprint Plans Sales Construction Support Website Homepage

Fisher:
Fisher Flying Products - Producing Classic Aircraft Kits
FP-202

thetford

And I thought I was the only one that got suckered by this guy! I paid for a set of plans about two years ago.... never got them. I called and bugged him for months, it was always some excuse why he had not mailed them, and he was going to drop them in the mail right now...... Well, I still would like a set of plans, anybody have a set they want to sell?

thanks,
Mike

Wrongway John

Preceptor Aircraft as well as this thread has been getting quite a bit of mention on other forums at yahoo and at EAA. Here’s the latter.

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_DiscussionBoardTopic.aspx?id=1235&boardid=147&forumid=178&topicid=5734

Consider Duwayne has been getting away with this for years, what does it take before there finally is some justice? How ‘bout at least shutting down his site? Can they not even do that without a Supreme Court order? And Geeezus Harold Christ, the Keystone cops would have captured him by now! Get him in jail already! I wish some law enforcement agency would show us something for our tax dollars instead of most of them thus far just paying us lip service.

jmt1991

I received a call from the detective yesterday(8/31) informing me that DuWayne was arrested on several felony fraud charges and had to go to court to post bail. His attorney asked for and got a 30 day continuance. If he can provide the four individuals in this group of charges, with the item(s) that they paid for, there is a chance that he can clear up those charges. This does not affect any of the other charges that are pending against him. He also has to shut his web site down. We should know more in the next few weeks, but it looks as though Preceptor Aircraft is done, kaput, finished. Now we just need to clean up the mess. I'll post more information when I get it.

Marty