preceptor aircraft

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by firefighter3562, Aug 1, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 25, 2011 #81

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

Bob,
    I emailed DuWayne yesterday and he replied within 24 hours. He was held up at his job for awhile longer and has just returned home. He will be calling me with an update.
    Marty

2. Jan 29, 2011 #82

PONCH

PONCH

PONCH

I'm in the same boat with 'Falcon Driver'. All this is very bad news to me, unfortunately the Ultra Pup happens to be my #1 choice of aircraft to build. I need to get my hands on some Preceptor plans or something very similar. With so many knock offs of the venerable Cub are there no others like this one? Man I really hope Duwayne pulls out of this, for everyone's sake. He sure would have a good thing going and we would have our beloved Pups back.

3. Feb 1, 2011 #83

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I spoke with DuWayne last night (1/31) and he said that my N3 Pup was complete. He is supposed to call me tomorrow(2/2) and confirm that everything is ready to go. As soon as my kit is complete, he will begin on the next N3 kit which should not take him too long to complete, as that one was at approximately 80%. When I talk to him, I will ask how far behind the plans are. From what he's told me, it seems like he's making progress. I'll post what I find out after our next call.

Marty

4. Feb 2, 2011 #84

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I just received an email from the gentleman who purchased a STOL King, that he received his fuel tanks and hardware from DuWayne. It looks like things are starting to come together. :nervous:

Marty

5. Feb 3, 2011 #85

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I posted this information in the Yahoo Preceptor group, but thought people here would also want to be kept up to date. I spoke to DuWayne again last night, and he confirmed that my kit is 100% complete. He is gathering all of the necessary parts and labeling them so that they can be packed up. He said that he should have all of the parts packaged and labeled by this weekend(2/5-2/6) and that everything will be packed and
    wrapped up for pickup by the middle of next week. I will be going to pick
    the kit up on 2/19. I asked him about the plans, and he said he is working on getting the plans out. Although I won't be 100% sure until 2/19, I honestly do believe that DuWayne is making a serious effort to straighten things out. I'm actually getting excited now. :)

Marty

6. Feb 3, 2011 #86

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Marty, good to see you and a few others looking like you may get your kits. Just to make sure I understand correctly, these other kits that he says he will start working on, does this include the two from Australia? One Aussie said he ordered his kit in February of 2009, and the other March of 2009. I’m curious as to what order he is finishing these kits in, and if he has put those out of the country on a longer hold. Did you order yours before or after them?

7. Feb 4, 2011 #87

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

John,
    I ordered after Shane and Dale. He should begin working on Shane and Dale's kits as soon as my parts are bagged and wrapped. He told me that he would begin work on Shane's N3 first because it was about 70-80% complete. From what he told me, my kit was only slightly more complete than Shane's, so it should not take long to complete that kit. Once Shane's kit was complete, he would move on to Dale's Ultra Pup. How mine got farther along than Shane's, I don't know. Dale's Ultra Pup fuselage was supposed to have been constructed by someone else, but for some reason they couldn't do it. This set the progress on his kit back. He plans to ship them in the same container to save on shipping costs. I have no intention of going to pick up my kit and letting Shane and Dale drop off the map. I have spoken to them on the phone, and will do everything I can to help them get their kits. When I pick mine up, I am going to take pictures and notes and relay the information to them. I want everyone to get their kits and start on their dream, and I'll do what I can to make that happen.

8. Feb 4, 2011 #88

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Marty, you are definitely a class act, and it looks like yours and others persistency may finally pay off. I sure hope so, all of you have far more patience that I would have ever had.

I've noticed his old site of Preceptor Aircraft is up and running again. He took his phone numbers off of it when I last looked, but at least you have one of his cell numbers and know where he is at. Not sure why his site is still using his old mailing address to his business though.

9. Feb 7, 2011 #89

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

John,
    All three of us are in the same boat, and we have been working together for some time now. I just put myself in their place, thousands of miles away and pretty much helpless. Their anxiety level has to be at least twice that of mine! The time involved isn't that much, and I hope the peace of mind they get helps them out. There have been times during this ordeal, that I have been very nervous, but due to the help of others, I was able to get some much-needed information. I'm just doing the same. We're going to see this through, it hasn't been easy but it will be memorable! :gig: I would imagine that the mail is just being forwarded for the time being, and that he will get a shop phone once orders pick up some. He is checking his email, though.

Marty

10. Feb 7, 2011 #90

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Maybe yours and very few others, and that’s probably because he’s aware you’re on this thread, and realizes he is being held accountable for his past actions. But I actually think he continues to ignore most of his e-mail, and as for phone calls, most folk, can forget any of that. At the end of last year, I thought I would give his e-mail a try again for a basic inquiry when his site said he was answering e-mail. He still hasn’t answered.

What concerns me about these new orders he is taking, is that he may be using that money to finance the old kits that have been waiting to get out for a couple of years, and those ordering now, will have to go through a similar process to what you and the Aussies have had to deal with, which will start the cycle all over again.

Best of luck.

11. Feb 8, 2011 #91

Little Aussie Flyer

Little Aussie Flyer

Little Aussie Flyer

Hello forum members,

I have an outstanding order with Preceptor for a complete N-3 Pup. I managed to track down Duwayne Counts and have a lengthy discussion about my order and what his intentions are with the Preceptor Pup line of ultralights. From that conversation I have learnt that he is focusing his attention first on delivering the outstanding kits and is currently completely a few loose ends on those. He is not taking any phone calls at the moment as his current priority is to delivery the kits. Once that is done he will be revamping the business to a more stream line operation more suitable to his available time. He is very passionate about the Preceptor Pups and wants to keep these within the family. I told him that there are a lot of people out there that are interested in his Pups but frustrated about paying money for something and the not receiving anything in return. I did say that the best course of action would be to deliver these kits ASAP so that fellow builders could document the assembly process report on this through forums and blogs and fly these ultralight around the place to fly inns would be a great promotional tool and that positive sentiment would flow. Potential buyers of these kits and plans lack the confidence to hand over there hard earned money because of the poor business ethic being displayed. He assured me that this will be changing in the not to distant future.

His business has taken a few hits over the last few years but he wants everyone to know that Preceptor Aircraft are still in business but they are just waiting to jump that final hurdle of delivering the outstanding kits before the revamp. After talking to Duwayne I do feel confident that I will get my kit, patients is the key word. I just hope Duwayne proves me right.
    As for Marty getting his N-3 Pup kit before me even after I ordered and paid for mine a year early I do have my theory. But I will be happy that someone has received there kit, this should mean that mine will be a step closer. Duwayne has been put on notice that if I have to fly across the Pacific to sort out my order, then he is going to be dealing with not one but two very argry Aussie guys very soon

Regards
    Shane McMillan

12. Feb 8, 2011 #92

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Bad, bad, BAD idea. Take the phone calls. Tell the truth. Answering phone calls takes an hour out of the day. Shutting yourself off from your customers is a sure way to end up with a lawsuit and legal action. And a reputation as a shyster, deserved or not. Sounds like Duwayne is in way over his head. This is not a hobby, it's a business.

13. Feb 9, 2011 #93

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

DuWayne is taking some phone calls, and he is checking his email. He is really focused on getting the three kits out so he can get everything back on track.

14. Feb 9, 2011 #94

stingray

stingray

stingray

Marty , Ive been following the posts and am glad to see things are looking up. For what it's worth and this goes for our Aussie friends too. I was nearly two years getting my parts from preceptor. I know the frustration all to well. Hang in there guys. Keep leaning on him and I believe you'll get your parts. Deep down I know he'll do the right thing. Regards. Patrick.

15. Feb 10, 2011 #95

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

Duwayne does sound convincing, but I will only be convinced when I receive my kit in full. Marty's imput is really appreciated. I really hope Preceptor Aircraft are true to their word.
    Regards Dale

16. Feb 10, 2011 #96

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

Well, I'll be finding out next Friday or Saturday. I'm hoping for the best.

Marty

17. Feb 21, 2011 #97

baddawgz

baddawgz

baddawgz

Hey FF did your friend ever get any action on this ...? its now feb 21, '11..I am interested in finding out about this co.

18. Feb 21, 2011 #98

baddawgz

baddawgz

baddawgz

I took on a product production for Preceptor some time ago producing some Fiber Glass parts for his aircraft..he sent me molds which I used for a short time making parts..unfortunately my old sensitivity to the chems raised its head and I tried to talk Duwayne into having a experienced local FG company take over making them and me overseeing that..he did not like the bids and pulled the molds out to a guy in Phoenix who was a builder on the STOL King..some of the molds were evidently lost by some FG outfit in Phoenix..As a long time aerospace toolmaker I was not very impressed with the molds and wanted to redo some of them for ease of production and make them "better" that, of course never happened.. I was never paid for any of the parts that were crated, shipped or shipping charges other than a set of plans for the STOL KING sent to me by Duwayne.
    I worked for Rex Taylor for a time in Casa Grand AZ. making molds for the dragonfly and cygnet and was so impressed with Rex because he went to great lengths to help the builders out with Questions, provide parts in a timely fashion and generally go the extra mile..Rex was one of a kind and I really respected his ethics...God bless Ya Rex, Where ever you may be...over the years seeing the homebuilt movement ebb and flow there has been a few like Jim Bede and others that have gone belly up and taken a lot of people for a ride and its made it hard for others that are doing their best to fulfill orders..
    The history of the STORCH/STOL KING as it was told to me by Duwayne was that the "polish" guy in cal that built the first 3/4 scale storch hired Preceptor to build a quantity of the fuselages and after a some were built the polish guy, (forgot his name) took his operation to poland and left Duwayne with a bunch of fuse's that were not paid for..Long story short: its a long way to Poland to collect for them so Attorneys advised Duwayne to change some features of the 3/4 sTORCH Polish model and call it his own...Enter the gear change ..and the STOL KING was born..!

My own analysis of the plans show weakness in some areas but I would be very interested in finding out more about the "failures" that were mentioned in this forum as I would like to redesign it and design out these weaknesses and fab fuses..Anyone that could shed light please get in touch

19. Feb 21, 2011 #99

baddawgz

baddawgz

baddawgz

I do have a set of plans for the STOL KING for sale if anyone is interested...?

20. Feb 22, 2011 #100

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I was supposed to pick up my kit on 2/19, but DuWayne had the flu, and then on 2/16 he called me back after seeing a doctor to say that he also had pneumonia. He asked if we could postpone the pickup until this Saturday, 2/26 and I agreed. He sounded terrible, and I sure didn't want to take a chance on getting the flu. I should have an update on Sunday 2/27.
    Marty