Quantcast

preceptor aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

osculant

I just wanted to say, I just read this thread from beginning to end, and it was quite the page turner (clicker?).
I hope everybody wronged here gets compensated and that justice will be served.
I like the whole spiel on his website about the "New" Preceptor. And the fact that he calls himself the president.
I have a feeling he won't be the president of his jail cell!
I wouldn't be surprised if when the cops came to get him he came down with a sudden case of 'bird flu'.
Lets hope the soap in jail is as slippery as the lies he told.

Ok I had my fun. Really though, I hope everyone gets their kits/parts/plans/money back.

parkert51

Well the website is up and running at the moment. Well I hate to hear what this has come to. I tried to genuinely help Dewayne out and put an end to this. But you cant help someone who does not want it. I hope as that those effected can get what they ordered.

jmt1991

Once all of the criminal charges have been settled, there might be an opportunity for someone to get the rights to the designs. We'll see, it's not over yet.

Marty

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Talk to the DA and see if this can't be a bargaining chip to use. Maybe offer to expunge his record (if convicted) at some point if he makes restitution and gets the rights into the hands of someone that can take care of the customers properly.

Also don't wait too long to start any civil case. The statute of limitations is often quite short for this kind of thing.

parkert51

Talk to the DA and see if this can't be a bargaining chip to use. Maybe offer to expunge his record (if convicted) at some point if he makes restitution and gets the rights into the hands of someone that can take care of the customers properly.

Also don't wait too long to start any civil case. The statute of limitations is often quite short for this kind of thing.
Good advice, I believe in most states you have to notify the party of your intent for litigation within one year or you cant file.

Re: Preceptor Aircraft
I too had a problem getting parts from Duwane some years ago, and Phillip Bailey the detective come through for me. It would be nice if someone could assume the co, We N3pup flyers need support. If anyone flying an N3 Pup would like to form a group to answer questions it would be nice. They are too nice of a bird to let fall to the wayside. Leonard

parkert51

Leonard, I do agree I would hate to see this design go away. And I have considered a number of options to deal with this issue.......

thetford

It would be nice if someone could assume the co, We N3pup flyers need support. If anyone flying an N3 Pup would like to form a group to answer questions it would be nice
Leonard,
I was thinking along the same line..... I created a support forum on www.fly-ultralight.com with a section dedicated to the Preceptor Aircraft. Also, in a joint venture with Miller Performance Thetford Aerospace is tooling up to manufacture a very close "replica" of the Ultra Pup. Once we have one or two built we should be able to offer expert help & advice via the mentioned forum.

It's a little early notice, but we expect to be in production in the next few months.... the plan is to build a demo model, and then build "on-demand" on an order basis.

So rest easy, we'll keep the Pup alive :)

AZ Walt

"Also, in a joint venture with Miller Performance Thetford Aerospace is tooling up to manufacture a very close "replica" of the Ultra Pup."

I'd be interested in the new aircraft. But, my budget is build a piece of it as I have the money for the necessary materials.

Also know where I could get a couple of the videos that Preceptor claimed they had? I sent Preceptor an order for the first video on the Pup back in January 2011. Of course I never received it. Nor were any of my inquireis regarding it answered. But I would still like to see the first video on the Pup and the second (?) one on building a Pup. Might also be interested in the plans and building manual for a Pup or Ultra Pup. If nothign else I always seem to learn something about building an airplane by looking at the mechanical drawings and builder's manual.

High Altitude

Good luck.

I have always liked the Ultra Pup design.

Are you planning on offering build plans for your version?

Leonard,
I was thinking along the same line..... I created a support forum on www.fly-ultralight.com with a section dedicated to the Preceptor Aircraft. Also, in a joint venture with Miller Performance Thetford Aerospace is tooling up to manufacture a very close "replica" of the Ultra Pup. Once we have one or two built we should be able to offer expert help & advice via the mentioned forum.

It's a little early notice, but we expect to be in production in the next few months.... the plan is to build a demo model, and then build "on-demand" on an order basis.

So rest easy, we'll keep the Pup alive :)

thetford

@ AZ Walt - Yes, I will be offering plans, kits & ELSA version and possibly SLSA. We will be happy to sell "a piece at a time". Sorry - I don't know where you could find the video's. I'll keep my eyes open.

@ High Altitude - Yes, we will be offering "builders plans".

I don't want to dirty up this thread (change topic) any more than possilbe, so check the www.fly-ultralight.com forum, I will post updates and progress information there.

Thanks!

Galaga60

I have been dealing with Duwayne for the past 2 weeks for a new Mosler case for my motor. He has always been helpful and accomodating on prices. I sent him a bank draft which he received Wednesday, and when I spoke with him last night (before finding this thread) he advised me he would ship my parts today. After reading the thread, I called him back and explained my concerns. Duwayne assured me that my parts would ship as agreed, and that he had some legal issues that needed to be dealt with. Today, I spoke with Duwayne and got my tracking number. I even called the post office to verify destination and weight, and it all matched up. He has been stellar in offering all types of advice and always took my call and genuinely wanted to help me get back into the air. I'm sorry to hear that there are those who have paid out many thousands of dollars for aircraft not yet received. I believe that if someone were to come alongside Duwayne to form a partnership for Preceptor that this company could really take off. From what I hear, he is an amazing welder and fabricator. If I were closer and knew business, I wouldn't hesitate to work alongside him and ensure the business was successful. It's unfortunate how things have gone so far. Duwayne may have made some mistakes, but we all do. I'm sure, given the chance, Duwayne would make right all the wrongs he is now accused of.

parkert51

I have been dealing with Duwayne for the past 2 weeks for a new Mosler case for my motor. He has always been helpful and accomodating on prices. I sent him a bank draft which he received Wednesday, and when I spoke with him last night (before finding this thread) he advised me he would ship my parts today. After reading the thread, I called him back and explained my concerns. Duwayne assured me that my parts would ship as agreed, and that he had some legal issues that needed to be dealt with. Today, I spoke with Duwayne and got my tracking number. I even called the post office to verify destination and weight, and it all matched up. He has been stellar in offering all types of advice and always took my call and genuinely wanted to help me get back into the air. I'm sorry to hear that there are those who have paid out many thousands of dollars for aircraft not yet received. I believe that if someone were to come alongside Duwayne to form a partnership for Preceptor that this company could really take off. From what I hear, he is an amazing welder and fabricator. If I were closer and knew business, I wouldn't hesitate to work alongside him and ensure the business was successful. It's unfortunate how things have gone so far. Duwayne may have made some mistakes, but we all do. I'm sure, given the chance, Duwayne would make right all the wrongs he is now accused of.
Glad your having success with him. The problem is who would want him as a partner with all the bad press? My reputation is everything and I would never risk it by taking on someone with such a history. And the people who have been wronged have been very forgiving and trying to work with him.

Preceptor will never prosper with dewayne as part of the company. I am sad to say thats just the way I see it. Guys like him hurt all of us trying to make a go in this business!

Wrongway John

Duwayne as a business partner wouldn’t be an option, and most would see that as a very foolish thing to do. And who and when Duwayne chooses to correspond with has always been a mystery. Over two years, I tried to get through, and not a single call or e-mail ever answered. For countless others that he did get back to after taking their money, it’s been one flaky excuse after another of failed delivery dates.

Duwayne may have made some mistakes, but we all do. I'm sure, given the chance, Duwayne would make right all the wrongs he is now accused of.
I can't imagine what circumstances would ever allow me to make those kind of mistakes. I could never treat my customers the way he has treated his. And he’s had years to make things right with many of these people. Sorry, I have zero sympathy for him, and hope he pays dearly for what he has done to others. If things are made right, I seriously doubt it will be because it weighed on his conscience, it will be because the law finally forced him to make things right, and it will be him trying to bargain to save his own sorry butt, not because he was wanting to do the right thing.

jmt1991

DuWayne went to court again on September 28th. He has 30 days to produce our kits. If/when the kits are completed, the detective will inspect them to ensure that all major assemblies are there. The kits will then be taken to the police department's impound lot, where I will pick them up. Here's hoping for some good news.

Marty

BIC

Thank you for the update. I have been following this saga periodically for awhile now and I am interested to see how it plays out.

captboba

Perhaps it's time to clear the waters.

Yes we withdrew our offer to purchase Preceptor Aircraft. Business decisions can sometimes be complex but this one was not. When we sent our proposal to Duwayne it was at his insistence, indicating that he has not yet seen it. Within hours he emailed a response accepting our proposal to acquire Preceptor Aircraft and thanked us for the opportunity. Essentially, we offed to accept what we believed at the time were the paid for but undelivered kit liabilities of the company. Initially it seemed there were only 3 kits that had been paid for but not delivered. One in Australia, one in Minnesota and one in Maryland. DuWayne assured us that only 3 kits were outstanding. The gent who make the fuselages in Alaska had told me he thought the number was much higher and told me about a 4th individual who was now unlocatable. Then...another popped up on this site another gent in Australia. Despite DuWaynes assurnaces that only 3 kits were outstanding one for almost 3 years, we now had 5 folks that alledged they had paid for kits, but not received them. I confronted DuWayne during a telephone conversation and asked him point blank if 5 was the magic number, his only response was "I think so". Just last week i was contacted by a gent in New York indicating that he had bought a nearly complete airplane 2 years ago but had yet to receive it. This now makes at least 6 undelivered kits.

So why did we withdraw our offer. We had the same problem many of you complain about...we could not get a response from DuWayne with the inventories or customer list so that we could write up an agreement as to what would be transferred. At this same time the undelivered kit list continued to grow and we just could not see the potential end in sight. Without being able to determine what our liabilities were going to be our group was becoming concerned. DuWayne was not responding with the requested information, many of the buyers had given him an ultimatum about when they would start legal action. When that date arrived, we were no further along then when he initially accepted our proposal and we withdrew our offer so as not to be involved in the legal action that was likely pending.

What's a hostile takeover? Most notably it is the acquisition of public traded stock to gain a controlling interest in a corporation. However, when you make a push to buy a company that is not for sale the action could be considered hostile. However, when the owner asks you to resend your proposal and then accepts it within hours we saw it as an offer to buy a troubled company and to bail our an owner who may or may not be in over his head. At one point DuWayne offered to stay on as a technical advisor to which I responded that I thought that was a good idea.

Unfortunately, to date we have not received any type of a response to our letter of withdrawal. We assume by his webpage entry that he received it. But, then who knows. Towards the end we thought we might go the legal route to force the matter, but as the debt load kept growing we saw his reluctance to produce the required information to write up a sales agreement as a storke of luck and we withdrew.

Personally, I think Preceptor Aircraft still has a good future. They have a good product line, but need to support it better. Personally, I would recommend still buying plans and parts but only on a COD basis until the company shows improvement in product support and delivery. I hope that all of you can see, I'm not upset that this did not work out. A proposal is just that, It's a place to start a meaningful discussion from. This discussion just did not take off, so we exited the discussion. When you are trying to buy a business that may not initially be for sale, it just has to make sense, if it does not or ceases to make sense than you have to save your funds and look for something else.

Regards,

Glen
Glen,

I have the same feeling about the UltraPup as you do. Is there any way that we can get in contact privately, I'd like to discuss a business proposition with you.

Bob