• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Practice Welding Jig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote a short article on my blog about the jig I use to practice welding.
http://cassuttairplane.com/index.ph...lding-jig-for-aircraft-fuselage-construction/

Here's the short version.

Welding is functional art. Art requires practice. At least 15 years ago, probably more, I was asked to weld a piece on a fuselage. Although very experienced I was smart enough to practice a little before welding on a fuselage. Well, I struggled. So I slapped together a jig from all the scrap I could dig up and built a jig knowing I'd throw it in the scrap pile outside after I was warmed up on thinwall.

It worked well. My passion for aviation expanded over the years and I found myself walking out back and grabbing the rusty jig from the pile so I can practice each time I weld.

I no longer weld for a living, which means I need practice every single time I touch a torch to an airframe.

The jig is designed for two things, running beads and laps on sheet and welding tube clusters. I've also practiced fillet welds, edge, etc. This jig will do it all.

Here is a drawing I made. If it's too small go to my website and open this image in a separate window. I believe all the dimensions are on it.
20170328_090802.jpg

Looking back, I really wished I would have taken the time to really make it nice. The clamps are cut from 2" angle iron. There's a 20 gauge shim under the one block to allow the two sheets to lap.

The tube cluster side of the jig is designed to fit a 6' tube 3/3" and a 5/8" tube 4" with a saddle cut.

I practice on 4" x 4" 20 gauge steel which is .0359", close enough.

20170328_090303.jpg

20170328_090118.jpg

20170328_090051.jpg

For more photos and more explanation you can visit my blog.

Again, don't do what I did and slap the jig together. I don't think I even used a tape measure. Back then I figured this was a one shot deal and I'd go about my life. Really take your time and build it right, in fact, build it better than mine. It doesn't take long to build it right.

If my lifetime association of welding and fabricating has taught me anything it would be that practice is paramount to success. I love to throw the jig on a bench and just warm up for a half hour or so, turn on some tunes and get those muscles relaxed and find your mojo. Don't use the actual airplane fuselage as your learning tool.

If you have any comments or questions please do so. In the mean time I'm headed to work.

Last edited:
Back